VPN has been having disconnection and freezing issues for a few months. Is there a software update I can download?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by dwhittaker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:37 pm
I'm running OpenVPN Connect for Mac, OS 10.12.6 Sierra. OpenVPN Connect (version?) 2.1.3.120

For the past few months my VPN service has been freezing up a couple times a week... meaning all my browser activity is frozen until I wait it out or disconnect VPN (then reconnect again.) VPN has also been randomly disconnecting itself then reconnecting without prompting me to login. In the past, if it disconnected for whatever reason the login window would open prompting me to log back in. But now, it just reconnects itself with no login prompts.

The reason I know it disconnected then reconnected is because the OpenVPN timer located in the topmost Mac toolbar will show, for example, 0:50 minutes although I know I connected to it many hours before that. I always notice this when I've come back to my computer after being gone for any number of hours. It doesn't seem to do this while I'm currently doing any work.

It occurred to me there might be a software update to fix all this. I looked at the ovpn.sonic.net page and it doesn't list any specific OpenVPN version numbers for Mac and it won't allow me to re-download any software. I do notice that the Windows installer is named openvpn-connect-2.5.0.120_signed.msi making me think I have an old version, assuming that number does in fact represent a version number.

Any suggestions?
by daveszy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:45 pm
I was having issues too and it seemed liked Sonic/OpenVPN was pushing us towards Tunnelblick, which wouldn't connect at all for me. I found the newest version of the macOS OpenVPN Connect Client after some digging:

https://docs.openvpn.net/connecting/con ... ith-macos/

After installing it seems to work fine now. My only concern, which I already asked about in another thread, was if there was any reason they were pushing us toward Tunnelblick over using the OpenVPN client?
by guarino » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:24 pm
daveszy wrote:I was having issues too and it seemed liked Sonic/OpenVPN was pushing us towards Tunnelblick, which wouldn't connect at all for me. I found the newest version of the macOS OpenVPN Connect Client after some digging:

After installing it seems to work fine now. My only concern, which I already asked about in another thread, was if there was any reason they were pushing us toward Tunnelblick over using the OpenVPN client?
I just replied in the other thread as well, but that's the version I'd recommend. It does look like the link in the you see after logging titled "See How to connect from a Mac" points you at some documentation that mentions Tunnelblick, but the documentation you're looking at has more information applicable to Access Server. I'll have to see if the links in the login page are something we can edit, but otherwise the link above or this link should get you the newest Mac client:

(Note you'll need to be logged in to the web portal)
https://ovpn.sonic.net/generic/openvpn- ... signed.dmg
Justin Guarino
Sonic System Operations
by dwhittaker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 am
daveszy wrote:I was having issues too and it seemed liked Sonic/OpenVPN was pushing us towards Tunnelblick, which wouldn't connect at all for me. I found the newest version of the macOS OpenVPN Connect Client after some digging:

Thanks for finding this link. I spent a good chunk of time looking everywhere on the OpenVPN.net website for any documentation on this issue and came up blank.

Given how buried this information is on their site, it would seem they are trying to push Mac users to use Tunnelblick instead. All I can tell is that Tunnelblick gives a lot more configuration options but for me, I have little need or interest in using it since all I do is connect to the service and leave it.
by dwhittaker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:17 am
guarino wrote:I just replied in the other thread as well, but that's the version I'd recommend. It does look like the link in the you see after logging titled "See How to connect from a Mac" points you at some documentation that mentions Tunnelblick, but the documentation you're looking at has more information applicable to Access Server. I'll have to see if the links in the login page are something we can edit, but otherwise the link above or this link should get you the newest Mac client:

(Note you'll need to be logged in to the web portal)
https://ovpn.sonic.net/generic/openvpn- ... signed.dmg
I would highly recommend editing ovpn.sonic.net to include a link to this "Connecting to Access Server with macOS" page since it will be essential for Mac VPN users to periodically update their clients and since no documentation or discussion of the issue is readily available anywhere else.

Again thanks to both of you guys for shedding some light.

Cheers!
5 posts Page 1 of 1