Openvpn not giving DNS resolution?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by jmundis » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:31 pm
Sonic.net openvpn has been working like a champ for months, but recently, after connecting to the openvpn server, I no longer have DNS service. I still have IP connectivity, but no DNS. Turn off the openvpn connection and everything is fine.

Windows 10 laptop, over sonic's FFTN (resold ATT Uverse service) connection.

Any ideas?
by rmdpi » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:35 pm
Same problem on my Windows 10 laptop. I don't normally use the VPN on my Sonic connection but I do whenever I have to connect to an open Wi-Fi system such as at a hotel. However, I get the same results connecting over a Sonic DSL line. OpenVPN connects with the Sonic VPN server but after that I can't do anything due to "Host not found" errors. Web and email connections all time-out and fail. Disconnecting from the VPN server restores the ability to connect with remote servers. I've installed the latest OpenVPN software from the Sonic web page, rebooted, still same behavior. Tried installing OpenVPN Community from the OpenVPN web site and same results. All this means I can no longer use OpenVPN. Does anyone know of a solution?
by dkenglish7 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 pm
The non-GUI OpenVPN client software doesn't necessarily route everything over the VPN the way it should. The GUI client software does a much better job - it resolved this problem for me.
by virtualmike » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 pm
rmdpi wrote:Tried installing OpenVPN Community from the OpenVPN web site and same results.
I'm not having any issues, but if I were, I'd consider downloading an updated client.ovpn file from ovpn.sonic.net and putting it in the proper directory (for me, it's C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\).

If you try that, OpenVPN should see a new connection called "client." You could rename the file to something else, such as Sonic2.ovpn, if it helps.
by rmdpi » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:45 am
1, I'm not aware of any "non-GUI OpenVPN client". All I have ever used is the one that is accessed via the Windows "tray" and that is clearly a Graphical User Interface and not a command line interface.

2. It used to work fine but suddenly it doesn't, however, I don't know when the problem started because I only use it when travelling. Perhaps it has something to do with a Windows Update.

3. I have installed and tried the latest versions (both Sonic's version 2.5.0 and the open source community version 2.4.5) plus the sonic provided profile: client.ovpn, but it makes no difference, same results -- effectively no working internet connection when OpenVPN is connected to the Sonic VPN server.

Sonic support says helping resolve the problem is "not in the scope of Sonic tech support".
5 posts Page 1 of 1