Improved IMAP Server BETA.

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
33 posts Page 1 of 4
by kgc » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:07 pm
I've wanted to migrate away from our current IMAP server software to Dovecot so some time. Dovecot is a great IMAP server and was built from the ground up to be secure and fast. It has several features which make it significantly faster that the old server as well as having a plugin system that enables advanced features like full text indexed searches.

Under most circumstances the migration to the new server is seamless but not without some caveats. When you first log into the new server, your mailboxes metadata is converted from the old format. This will preserve any user supplied tags, and all message status flags. Under most circumstances clients will completely resync with the new IMAP servers.

To help test, just update all of your clients to use 'imapd.sonic.net' and then accept the SSL key validation error. (imapd.sonic.net only a temporary name for the new cluster.)

No need to let us know if everything works, but please do let us know about any issues. Under no circumstances should testing cause any mail to get lost. If your client doesn't show all of your mail, restart it. If it still doesn't show all of your mail, try triggering a full resync.

Please note: logging into the old imap servers, including using our webmail, after migrating to the new sever may lead to index corruption in dovecot and isn't recommended at this time. Dovecot should recover from it automatically but it may cause some mail to go "missing" until the index is rebuilt.

Fusion Voicemail Users - if you read your voicemail in your mail client via IMAP, the new servers aren't keeping MWI in sync (stutter dial tone and/or message waiting light) at this time. If it gets stuck on and you want to turn it off, simply log into the your voicemail from your phone.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by bobrk » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:19 pm
Couple questions:

1. Does this apply for all accessing devices of a mailbox? I.e., can I leave my iPhone on imap.sonic.net while I have my laptop on imapd.sonic.net?

2. How about for different mailboxes? Can I test imapd with my mailbox but leave my wife's alone?

Thanks for the improvements!
by joemuller » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:36 pm
I'm no expert on this, but I've heard some of the outcomes so far from internal testing, so to at least give partial answers to your questions:
1.) Most likely yes, this includes things like auto-fetching on gmail, Mail on iDevices (change your IMAP settings before opening mail again), and desktop mail programs. Upon first login to imapd.sonic.net, your mail is re-indexed, which may take a while and probably doesn't like being interrupted by other programs/devices checking your mail at the same time. As kgc said, it shouldn't cause mail to be deleted, but weird stuff can happen.
2.) This should apply on a mailbox-by-mailbox basis.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by bobrk » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:53 pm
So far so good. I didn't change my iPhone and it's working great as is my laptop.

Thanks!
by dane » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:37 am
bobrk wrote:So far so good. I didn't change my iPhone and it's working great as is my laptop.

Thanks!
If you change one system, you should change all. Best not to use both platforms on the same mailbox.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:45 am
Ok.
by mfield » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:21 am
Hi. I'm getting "connection refused" this morning on my devices. Are we supposed to switch back to imap.sonic.net at some point?

Marc
by kgc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:19 am
Marc - the maintenance work last night exposed an unnoticed failure in the new load balancers that handle the new imap cluster. I fixed it once I realized I couldn't check my own mail this AM and will update our monitoring to catch the root failure.
Kelsey Cummings
by bobrk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am
How is this beta going?
by kgc » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:36 pm
bobrk wrote:How is this beta going?
Good, but I'd love to have more people testing to help ferret out any remaining issues. (Not ETA on moving out of beta yet as the more burn in time this gets, the better.)
Kelsey Cummings
33 posts Page 1 of 4