Page 31 of 32

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:20 am
by patty1
Probably best to post your comments in Scott's new thread about the shell server; he may not be monitoring this one. I just logged in to sh.sonic.net and saw the same thing as you.

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:04 am
by goetsch
Nothing here either. Takes a l-o-n-g time to authenticate, and then all I get is an empty home directory. First showed up for me via a "No such file or directory" message for a cron job that ran at 9:08 this morning

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:50 pm
by coad
Authentication is pretty fast now, but there are no files.

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:32 pm
by goetsch
goetsch wrote:
Nothing here either. Takes a l-o-n-g time to authenticate, and then all I get is an empty home directory. First showed up for me via a "No such file or directory" message for a cron job that ran at 9:08 this morning

Still nothing at 2:30 pm...

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:52 pm
by scott
goetsch wrote:
goetsch wrote:
Nothing here either. Takes a l-o-n-g time to authenticate, and then all I get is an empty home directory. First showed up for me via a "No such file or directory" message for a cron job that ran at 9:08 this morning

Still nothing at 2:30 pm...


Try now.

Will post a post-mortem in the other thread.

-Scott

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:46 am
by tbessie
Scott...

I'm getting this issue as well ("Transport endpoint is not connected" in shell upon login). I just sent you an email about it:

----------

You were handling this issue in the past in the forums, so I thought I'd try you directly. I already called Sonic support, and they said they had no idea what to do in this situation. Honestly, support should be able to handle this, don't you think? :-(

Anyway, I recently killed a bunch of old processes in my shell account, and apparently that killed support processes for the shell account itself. Can you fix this for me?

Shouldn't these processes 1) not be killable by a user, and 2) auto-restart when killed?

My account is: tbessie

- Tim

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:45 am
by casner
mikefr wrote:
scott wrote:
scott wrote:

Okay, these now live in /logs/custweb, and I've created a symlink that will make the directory appear at /var/log/custweb .



Um, about that...

On further review, the custweb directory hasn't kept up with the times. Back in the day, it wasn't as big a deal to have real-time web logs for the entire web cluster available to everybody -- but that isn't in the cards for a modern environment.

So please use the /logs/by_user/ directory/directories to get the split-out web logs, and we'll see what we can do to get realtime logs to people _securely_.

Sorry if this is an inconvenience. Feedback appreciated.

-Scott


Hi,

I appreciate that my access logs are accessible under the new shell. Now I wonder if any progress has been made in giving us realtime access to the current log. Thanks.

Mike


Was anything done to provide realtime access to the web log?

Steve

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 am
by scott
casner wrote:
mikefr wrote:
scott wrote:

Um, about that...

On further review, the custweb directory hasn't kept up with the times. Back in the day, it wasn't as big a deal to have real-time web logs for the entire web cluster available to everybody -- but that isn't in the cards for a modern environment.

So please use the /logs/by_user/ directory/directories to get the split-out web logs, and we'll see what we can do to get realtime logs to people _securely_.

Sorry if this is an inconvenience. Feedback appreciated.

-Scott


Hi,

I appreciate that my access logs are accessible under the new shell. Now I wonder if any progress has been made in giving us realtime access to the current log. Thanks.

Mike


Was anything done to provide realtime access to the web log?

Steve


Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, not yet. I don't have an ETA yet, but it will be the next thing I work on after a project to expiry unused mounts.

-Scott

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:24 am
by casner
For December 3 there was no access_log file written for my account. Was that a system glitch, or was it really the case that there were not even any queries from the bots?

Steve

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:16 pm
by joemuller
casner wrote:
For December 3 there was no access_log file written for my account. Was that a system glitch, or was it really the case that there were not even any queries from the bots?


I've double-checked our logs, and indeed - your site didn't receive any hits on December 3rd. Still strange that *no* file was written - even an empty one. Perhaps Scott may be able to shed some light on that?

-- Joe M
Sonic System Operations