Page 2 of 32

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:31 pm
by scott
scott wrote:
apl wrote:
I can log in again, but still can't see my home dir.


Looking into that now...


Should be fixed now -- give it a shot. :)

What I'm running into is an issue with cron jobs, and the chroot sessions coming into existence and going away for those. This relies on bind mounts, which for reasons still unknown are occasionally causing problems with setting up people's login sessions.

Work on this continues...

-Scott

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:44 pm
by apl
Yes, my home directory is mounting properly now.
Thanks.

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:49 pm
by gie
My home directory is good now too. How do I configure my inbox so it's not imap but still not 0 messages?

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:49 pm
by scott
gie wrote:
My home directory is good now too. How do I configure my inbox so it's not imap but still not 0 messages?


in your .procmailrc :

DEFAULT=/home/g/gie/mail/MYINBOX
(or whatever you want to call your inbox)

Then in your .pinerc, set
inbox-path=/home/g/gie/mail/MYINBOX

It's inelegant, but it does work.

-Scott

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:39 pm
by gie
I'll continue this tomorrow when I can get aid, but although this does allow me to configure a MYINBOX folder and see mail delivered, the next message that arrives flashes an "Unexpected change to folder..." message that goes away before I can read it and the new message is not delivered.

Alpine was compiled without debug?

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:59 pm
by bobrk
I've been using shell.sonic.net to access the shell. Will this now point to the new server, or is sh.sonic.net the only host?

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm
by yronwode
Hello, I am testing my shell now and currently unable to use the command "IRC" there.

Will this be enabled? Will there be features available in bolt.sonic.net which are not in sh.sonic.net?

I noticed that in comparing a "ls -Al" command a different result was obtained

bolt.sonic.net: total 31872
sh.sonic.net: total 31804

Does this seem right? I value the use of the UNIX shell but am not a serious programmer.

Thank you for your assistance.

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:48 pm
by scott
bobrk wrote:
I've been using shell.sonic.net to access the shell. Will this now point to the new server, or is sh.sonic.net the only host?


Hi,

Shell.sonic.net will point to the new host when we switch.

-Scott

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:53 pm
by scott
yronwode wrote:
Hello, I am testing my shell now and currently unable to use the command "IRC" there.

Will this be enabled? Will there be features available in bolt.sonic.net which are not in sh.sonic.net?

I noticed that in comparing a "ls -Al" command a different result was obtained

bolt.sonic.net: total 31872
sh.sonic.net: total 31804

Does this seem right? I value the use of the UNIX shell but am not a serious programmer.

Thank you for your assistance.


Hi,

Not having the irc command is definitely an oversight. The intent is to have as much of the old functionality as possible, albeit on a modern platform.

The minor differences to ls -l output aren't anything to worry about, just as long as you can see all your files.

Re: New shell server transition

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:39 pm
by mikefr
scott wrote:
bobrk wrote:
I've been using shell.sonic.net to access the shell. Will this now point to the new server, or is sh.sonic.net the only host?


Hi,

Shell.sonic.net will point to the new host when we switch.

-Scott


Does this mean if I keep using shell.sonic.net I won't have to make any changes to my SSH configuration? I just tried connecting to sh.sonic.net using the same SSH config except for changing the host name from shell.sonic.net to sh.sonic.net and the connection failed with the following message:

Client to Server cipher algorithm could not be negotiated
Unable to locate IP Host/Gateway


(I'm using Open Text Secure Shell).