New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 5 of 32
by mikefr » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:11 pm
scott wrote:
scott wrote:
scott wrote:
That's a good point. I will make them accessible.
Okay, these now live in /logs/custweb, and I've created a symlink that will make the directory appear at /var/log/custweb .
Um, about that...

On further review, the custweb directory hasn't kept up with the times. Back in the day, it wasn't as big a deal to have real-time web logs for the entire web cluster available to everybody -- but that isn't in the cards for a modern environment.

So please use the /logs/by_user/ directory/directories to get the split-out web logs, and we'll see what we can do to get realtime logs to people _securely_.

Sorry if this is an inconvenience. Feedback appreciated.

-Scott
Yes, I noticed that. Will the by_user directory set up be remaining as-is? I'd like to know this before I proceed to make the appropriate changes to my script. The new arrangement actually will make my script a bit more straightforward.
by scott » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:33 pm
mikefr wrote:
scott wrote:
scott wrote:
Okay, these now live in /logs/custweb, and I've created a symlink that will make the directory appear at /var/log/custweb .
Um, about that...

On further review, the custweb directory hasn't kept up with the times. Back in the day, it wasn't as big a deal to have real-time web logs for the entire web cluster available to everybody -- but that isn't in the cards for a modern environment.

So please use the /logs/by_user/ directory/directories to get the split-out web logs, and we'll see what we can do to get realtime logs to people _securely_.

Sorry if this is an inconvenience. Feedback appreciated.

-Scott
Yes, I noticed that. Will the by_user directory set up be remaining as-is? I'd like to know this before I proceed to make the appropriate changes to my script. The new arrangement actually will make my script a bit more straightforward.
Yeah, that will be a stable location.

But don't put anything you want to keep in the /logs/custweb directory, that will be going away when I get a chance.
by bakul » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:15 am
Once in a while I use ssh to run a remote command on shell.sonic.net (actually more often than dropping into a login shell). For example

$ ssh sh.sonic.net pwd

On sh.sonic.net it produces an extra "Authenticated with partial success." on stderr.
Would it be possible to remove this?

Thanks!
by qm » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:05 am
scott wrote:
yronwode wrote:
scott wrote: Yeah, didn't realize there was anyone still using trn or nn. Will investigate what it would take to add those to the system.

-Scott
That's curious. What else would anyone use? I always used either trn or nn. Is there something new?

I'm also having trouble:

- I used to see what everyone else was doing. In chroot, I can't.
- I can't see any of my files.
- trn exists, but there is no default host, and news.sonic.net is not working. Does Sonic still have a news server? I miss USENET.
- I can't see where http and ftp files are stored.
by rpw3 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:27 am
So I got the general email from "shellmaster" yesterday (Tues.),
logged into "sh", and found my home directory duplicated from/
shared read-write with "bolt". Set up my ".muttrc" to work with
IMAP on "sh", figured out how to get rid of the color stuff, etc, etc.
All was looking good, so I changed my default SSH clients/scripts
to use "sh" instead of "bolt".

Now nothing works on "sh" any more. I can log in, yes, but none
of my files are there. (They're still on "bolt", though!) A "df" shows
this (which doesn't look right!):

_[/home/r/rpw3]_(rpw3@sh)_
$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/sysvg-root 174024416 6879928 167144488 4% /
devtmpfs 8123172 0 8123172 0% /dev
tmpfs 8134016 103688 8030328 2% /run
$

This is all I see in $HOME:

$ ls -la
total 4
drwxr-xr-x. 4 rpw3 user 56 Mar 1 05:23 .
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 18 Feb 28 03:06 ..
-rw-------. 1 rpw3 user 475 Mar 1 04:40 .bash_history
drwxr-xr-x. 3 rpw3 user 18 Mar 1 02:30 .cache
drwxr-xr-x. 3 rpw3 user 18 Mar 1 02:30 .config
$

It looks like "sshfs" has lost the plot for me. *HELP!* ;-}
by dherr » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:12 am
That might be due to it again suffering from whatever causes:

/bin/sh: Permission denied
Connection to sh.sonic.net closed.

I checked due to getting a cronjob mail with "No such file or directory" for the cron job script.
by kyezbick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:30 am
As of this morning, I'm getting what rpw3 is getting. Yesterday, sh had everything bolt had.
by gie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:45 am
Ditto. Is this the same issue as a few days ago? We won't transition to this server if the problem is still happening, will we?
by patty1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:46 am
qm wrote: - trn exists, but there is no default host, and news.sonic.net is not working. Does Sonic still have a news server? I miss USENET.

Sonic turned off their news server a year or more ago...

trn works fine with eternal-september or another newserver of your choice. (Or at least, it will work fine once sh.sonic.net is restored properly.)

BTW, regarding your question about what people are using other than trn for news, most people are using newsreaders on their own computers these days, not shell programs.
by patty1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:49 am
Scott, as others have noted above, something has gone very, very wrong with sh.sonic.net.

The only directory within my home directory is News, and it's empty. All my other files are gone, including my .login and .cshrc files. That explains why cron didn't find my calendar overnight.

¿¿Que pasa??
316 posts Page 5 of 32