New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 3 of 32
by patty1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:34 pm
My first question is the same as MikeFR's: since I have Terminal (the Mac OS X telnet/ssh program) pointing toward shell.sonic.net, do I need to make any changes in order to get shell access after the switch? It sounds like I don't.

Scott, your transition wiki page doesn't mention the name of the new server, but I saw in the email I received today that it's sh.sonic.net. I think that should be mentioned on the transition page. I just tried a direct connection to sh rather than shell, and it worked fine. Although--quelle dommage!--fortune isn't working!! Oh noes!!! :o :o :o :D

As it happens, after I switched from Eudora to Apple Mail last year, I accessed mail on the shell server less and less. I see that running mutt from my shell home directory reports that it doesn't find a mail file, which I expected after reading the transition wiki. I think at this point I'll just let that go rather than converting the file.

Scott, I didn't quite understand your comment about cron jobs. Will those keep working after the switch?

I just got the error message "trn: Command not found." Will trn be enabled on the new shell, or do I need to do something?

Synopsis:

* Access to sh.sonic.net is okay for me; I assume that shell.sonic.net will work through the transition
* fortune isn't working
* I'll stop reading mail from the shell
* I'm not clear what's happening with cron
* trn isn't working

Patty
by yronwode » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:02 pm
scott wrote:
yronwode wrote:...the command "IRC" there.....
Not having the irc command is definitely an oversight. The intent is to have as much of the old functionality as possible, albeit on a modern platform. ....
Fantastic! If you could also make reading newsgroups again accessible during this upgrade (as with TRN, NN, etc.) that'd be swell! I understand if nobody else wants that, however. VI and LYNX both work well in the new environment which is very helpful also. Thanks Scott.
by scott » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:16 pm
yronwode wrote:Hello, I am testing my shell now and currently unable to use the command "IRC" there.
Try it now. :)

-Scott
by scott » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 pm
mikefr wrote:
scott wrote:
bobrk wrote:I've been using shell.sonic.net to access the shell. Will this now point to the new server, or is sh.sonic.net the only host?
Hi,

Shell.sonic.net will point to the new host when we switch.

-Scott
Does this mean if I keep using shell.sonic.net I won't have to make any changes to my SSH configuration? I just tried connecting to sh.sonic.net using the same SSH config except for changing the host name from shell.sonic.net to sh.sonic.net and the connection failed with the following message:

Client to Server cipher algorithm could not be negotiated
Unable to locate IP Host/Gateway

(I'm using Open Text Secure Shell).
Hi,

I'll have to try that client to see why it wouldn't work with sh.sonic.net.

It might use an old cipher, in which case, please make sure your client is the latest version.

-Scott
by scott » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:25 pm
yronwode wrote:
scott wrote:
yronwode wrote:...the command "IRC" there.....
Not having the irc command is definitely an oversight. The intent is to have as much of the old functionality as possible, albeit on a modern platform. ....
Fantastic! If you could also make reading newsgroups again accessible during this upgrade (as with TRN, NN, etc.) that'd be swell! I understand if nobody else wants that, however. VI and LYNX both work well in the new environment which is very helpful also. Thanks Scott.
Yeah, didn't realize there was anyone still using trn or nn. Will investigate what it would take to add those to the system.

-Scott
by scott » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:33 pm
patty1 wrote: Scott, I didn't quite understand your comment about cron jobs. Will those keep working after the switch?
You will have to move your cron jobs to the new system. We are trying to have customers do that on their own, since folks have quite varied setups.
patty1 wrote:
I just got the error message "trn: Command not found." Will trn be enabled on the new shell, or do I need to do something?

Synopsis:

* Access to sh.sonic.net is okay for me; I assume that shell.sonic.net will work through the transition
* fortune isn't working
* I'll stop reading mail from the shell
* I'm not clear what's happening with cron
* trn isn't working
Yes, "shell.sonic.net" will point to the current shell server, no matter what that is. To connect to the new server currently, you have to use the name "sh.sonic.net".

fortune is now /usr/bin/fortune instead of /usr/games/fortune .

I'm investigating what it would take to have trn and nn on the new shell server. We're trying to stay with CentOS packages, instead of installing software from source. That way, keeping the system up-to-date will be that much easier.

-Scott
by mikefr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 pm
scott wrote:
mikefr wrote:
scott wrote:
Hi,

Shell.sonic.net will point to the new host when we switch.

-Scott
Does this mean if I keep using shell.sonic.net I won't have to make any changes to my SSH configuration? I just tried connecting to sh.sonic.net using the same SSH config except for changing the host name from shell.sonic.net to sh.sonic.net and the connection failed with the following message:

Client to Server cipher algorithm could not be negotiated
Unable to locate IP Host/Gateway

(I'm using Open Text Secure Shell).
Hi,

I'll have to try that client to see why it wouldn't work with sh.sonic.net.

It might use an old cipher, in which case, please make sure your client is the latest version.

-Scott
Is there any way to tell what cipher is being attempted when I get the failure? The list of ciphers that shows in my SSH Session Properties seems to consist of current ciphers (e.g., Blowfish, AES256, etc), but this may not be what's at issue. [As I said, if I take the same config (which, BTW, is just using Username/Password for authentication) it works with shell.sonic.net but not with sh.sonic.net]. Does this mean that even once the former points to latter host I'll still get failure?
by casner » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:42 pm
I've logged in on sh.sonic.net and things look OK. I have a couple of programs that I wanted to run but could not run on bolt because the libraries were too old; those work now on sh. Thanks!

Questions:

- I use procmail to filter and dispatch incoming mail. I have maintained the .procmailrc file on bolt; Is there anything I need to do to have procmail to continue to work during and after this transition?

- I do have one cron script on bolt. Should I move it to sh now?
by patty1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 am
Updates (casner, two of these are related to your questions):

* I changed the path to fortune, so it's now working on sh.sonic.net.

* I copied my crontab file to sh and made a calendar entry for Feb. 28th; that entry was processed by both shell machines last night. Yay!

* My procmail scripts seem to be working. I've been diminishing my use of those, but some mail came in overnight that got handled properly by sh.sonic.net.

* My only remaining issue is trn. Scott, I hope you can install the program on the new machine.
by casner » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:33 am
patty1, my procmail continues to work as well, but my question is whether it would stop working when bolt is shut down. I believe it is actually executed by the other servers that process mail, not be either bolt or sh, but I don't know if there is some linkage between bolt and those servers that would need to be switched over.
316 posts Page 3 of 32