New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 26 of 32
by netllama » Thu May 24, 2018 4:03 am
As of 2 minutes ago, I'm also getting the "/bin/sh: Permission denied" error when attempting to ssh to shell.sonic.net .
by gie » Thu May 24, 2018 7:52 am
Yes, still unchanged as of 7:50 am, instant disconnect, and I use a commercial VPN so my IP is different every time.
by lr » Thu May 24, 2018 7:56 am
Same here, username lr. The "/bin/sh: Permission denied" has been happening since yesterday evening around 7:30p; the lack of cron jobs running on the shell server started in the middle of the afternoon (they still don't).
Linda and Ralph and John; 735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033; 408-395-1435
by coad » Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am
I was just able to connect! It looks like a reboot around 1137 fixed something. Thanks Scott!

--paul
by scott » Thu May 24, 2018 12:08 pm
lr wrote:Same here, username lr. The "/bin/sh: Permission denied" has been happening since yesterday evening around 7:30p; the lack of cron jobs running on the shell server started in the middle of the afternoon (they still don't).
Well, got radical and instrumented "umount" to get pstree's of the system when it is run.

I keep looking at the paths sent from the chroot stopper script => to umount, for cron jobs, when the script should be in a chroot using pam_chroot. If those umounts were to somehow get out of the chroot jail, they would wreck all kinds of havoc. (Which is kind of what I'm seeing.)

I've no-opped _that_ script, too, and we'll see if the system behaves itself.

No idea why this thing would run for weeks without a problem, then suddenly get all wonky on us. But we'll fix it.

-Scott
by scott » Thu May 24, 2018 5:02 pm
scott wrote:
fw wrote:A few notes:

I'm definitely running afoul of some sort of idle timeout, and it's in not very many minutes (though I haven't yet measured the exact duration). This is with bash. I haven't yet changed any ssh settings, but according to the documentation, TCP keepalive is enabled by default, which should both keep the TCP connection from dropping and keep the NAT mapping from timing out (as long as the keepalive interval is shorter than the NAT timeout). I haven't tried fiddling with ServerAliveInterval yet.

There doesn't seem to be a way to disable the motd at login without also disabling the "last login" message (and possibly other messages of interest). The old server honored the .no-motd flag file, but the new one ignores it. Using .hushlogin is overly heavy-handed.
I can make it honor .no-motd -- will do.
This should now work, at least for bash, ksh, and tcsh.
scott wrote:
fw wrote: The new server doesn't add ~/bin to PATH globally, which the old one did. Perhaps this was intentional, since binaries built for oldshell won't necessarily work (due to missing libraries), but it means that some tweaking of local startup scripts is needed to get that effect.
I'm surprised it doesn't do that by default, and can certainly add that.
Added.

-Scott
by lr » Thu May 24, 2018 9:47 pm
scott wrote:Well, ...
You know what this forum software is missing? A thumbs up button.

The problem went away around noon (plus or minus an hour, I wasn't tracking it carefully), so it was probably the reboot.

If me running a cron job every 10 minutes is causing you extra work (just because it increases the chance that something goes wrong), let me know, and I can see how to throttle it or move it elsewhere. If I make your job easier, then your systems will work better, which makes me happier.
Linda and Ralph and John; 735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033; 408-395-1435
by gie » Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 pm
Thank you, Scott, I'm cured too!
by nhdesign » Fri May 25, 2018 4:27 am
04:29 cannot login
-----------------------
Server refused to allocate pty
Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
Thus no job control in this shell.
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for deve
-----------------
Tried twice
--
Vic
by nhdesign » Fri May 25, 2018 4:52 am
I can type to the screen but nothing happens. ls return nothing. ctrl-c does nothing.

ls

^C

ls

^C
316 posts Page 26 of 32