New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 14 of 32
by tbessie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:25 pm
patty1 wrote:There have been some delightful node name themes in networks I've run across over the years, such as the Bambi-themed ones at Bellcore (bambi, thumper, flower, etc.). Sonic folks, here's your big chance to come up with a memorable name for the new shell machine!
Years ago I worked on a project for the Australian government (work was done in the Bay Area); most of the team were Australians, and they named all of our servers after beers: fosters, vbitter, mbitter, etc. :-)

- Tim
by scott » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:16 pm
sdogjm wrote:Hi Scott:

Does that mean that once you have redone my password hash, that my scripts running under PHP 5.3 or earlier will fail because of the opposite size mismatch? It looks like Apache is using PHP 5.2.11. Is it possible to leave both short and long versions of the hashed password in MySQL so that it will accept connections from all PHP versions?
I'm assured that all version of PHP we are running on production systems understand the new mysql password routines. So it should work.

Just in case, though, and to facilitate the transition, I installed /opt/php53 on sh.sonic.net. Please give it a shot and see if it does what it is supposed to do. :)
sdogjm wrote: Will PHP 5.4 be the default for Apache as well? I currently have a .htaccess file containing the string
Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php53
in my home directory. This was to insure that I was running the same version of PHP. I guess this should be removed, right?
Eventually -- when we move to the new web cluster -- the default php will be whatever CentOS has as default (which is currently PHP 5.4). However, from looking at the current custweb cluster, it appears we also have php55 and php56 installed (but no php54). I'm going to get with the guys and see what they have to say about this.

-Scott
by scott » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:23 pm
scott wrote:
patty1 wrote:
Guest wrote: BTW, when the dust settles you guys should come up with a snazzy name for the new shell machine. "Bolt" has character, "SH" sounds like a disproving wind instrument assigned to a library. ;)
Vic suggested in the Disk Quota thread that the new one be called "nut". Personally, I always thought that bolt referred to a bolt of lightning, not a piece of hardware; perhaps one of the Sonic oldtimers can clarify its origin for us. But "nut" would result in nut.shell.sonic, which is kind of cute.

I agree that "sh" is awkward. I find myself referring to bolt as just that, but sh looks like a UNIX command, so I have to type its full name of sh.sonic.net. A clear single name would be preferable.

There have been some delightful node name themes in networks I've run across over the years, such as the Bambi-themed ones at Bellcore (bambi, thumper, flower, etc.). Sonic folks, here's your big chance to come up with a memorable name for the new shell machine!
I like "nut". It's short, and is related to the name of the old shell host. (Though "Bolt" was supposed to evoke both a deadbolt lock, as well as a bolt of lightning, it can be the other piece of hardware, too. :) )

I'm going to bounce this off the guys, we'll see if there's any reason not to use "nut".

-Scott
Yeah, the guys weren't that excited about "nut". (They were less excited about my old name for it, "shelly".) Geeks are hard to please. ;P

Tim suggested naming it after a beer. Wonder how well "ipa" would go over. (It's short & quick to type, which is nice when coming up with a shell server's name.)

Another suggestion from one of our system admins would be to name it after the alias he uses to get to it, which is "gosh". That's got a great Napoleon Dynamite vibe to it, but might be too "cute" for srs shell users...
by tbessie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:30 pm
scott wrote:Yeah, the guys weren't that excited about "nut". (They were less excited about my old name for it, "shelly".) Geeks are hard to please. ;P

Tim suggested naming it after a beer. Wonder how well "ipa" would go over. (It's short & quick to type, which is nice when coming up with a shell server's name.)

Another suggestion from one of our system admins would be to name it after the alias he uses to get to it, which is "gosh". That's got a great Napoleon Dynamite vibe to it, but might be too "cute" for srs shell users...
How about something based off the fact that it's a shell server? Something having to do with shells...
  • turtle
  • tortoise
  • snail
  • armadillo
  • egg
  • eggshell
  • carapace
  • hull
  • husk
  • seashell
  • murex
  • mollusk
... that kinda thing?

- Tim
by sdogjm » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:24 pm
Hi Scott:
scott wrote:
I'm assured that all version of PHP we are running on production systems understand the new mysql password routines. So it should work.

Just in case, though, and to facilitate the transition, I installed /opt/php53 on sh.sonic.net. Please give it a shot and see if it does what it is supposed to do. :)
I just ran a test on sh.sonic.net. First I used the default PHP 5.4 to execute the script, and it failed like before with the same password error. Next, I tried it with php5.3, and received the following error:
Unable to connect to the server. could not find driver_[/home/s/sdogjm]_(sdogjm@sh)
It looks like there is something missing. I'm running this out of /opt/php53/bin/. Have you updated my mysql password to the 45 byte version? If so, I would have expected the 5.4 test to run okay.

scott wrote: Eventually -- when we move to the new web cluster -- the default php will be whatever CentOS has as default (which is currently PHP 5.4). However, from looking at the current custweb cluster, it appears we also have php55 and php56 installed (but no php54). I'm going to get with the guys and see what they have to say about this.

-Scott
I appreciate your help on this. --John
by scott » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:36 pm
sdogjm wrote:Hi Scott:
scott wrote:

I just ran a test on sh.sonic.net. First I used the default PHP 5.4 to execute the script, and it failed like before with the same password error. Next, I tried it with php5.3, and received the following error:
Unable to connect to the server. could not find driver_[/home/s/sdogjm]_(sdogjm@sh)
It looks like there is something missing. I'm running this out of /opt/php53/bin/. Have you updated my mysql password to the 45 byte version? If so, I would have expected the 5.4 test to run okay.
I haven't upgraded your password yet, wanted to make sure your script would run on sh.sonic.net with php53 for starters.

I just created a php.ini that might make it work right, give it a shot now?

-Scott
by sdogjm » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:42 pm
Hi Scott:

Now I'm getting
/opt/php53/bin/php wxpost2.php
PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/php53/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/imap.so' - /opt/php53/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/imap.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
by nhdesign » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:39 pm
tbessie wrote:
scott wrote:Yeah, the guys weren't that excited about "nut". (They were less excited about my old name for it, "shelly".) Geeks are hard to please. ;P

How about something based off the fact that it's a shell server? Something having to do with shells...
  • turtle
  • tortoise
  • snail
  • armadillo
  • egg
  • eggshell
  • carapace
  • hull
  • husk
  • seashell
  • murex
  • mollusk
... that kinda thing?

- Tim
bolt
dolt
colt
molt
lightning
thunder
strike
storm

or, mountain peaks, there are many, and you can even categorize servers and mountains by sizes, kinda like 1, 3, 9, rings to rule them all.

--
Vic
by tbessie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:20 pm
nhdesign wrote:bolt
dolt
colt
molt
lightning
thunder
strike
storm

or, mountain peaks, there are many, and you can even categorize servers and mountains by sizes, kinda like 1, 3, 9, rings to rule them all.

--
Vic
Tee-hee. :-/

The point was that they were going to name it "sh" - so my suggestions were on the "shell" theme.

- Tim
by jht51 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:12 pm
On the old shell server, one can access mail folder backups for the last couple of days by cd'ing to $MAIL/.snapshot/ . What's the equivalent on the new server?

Also, on the old server, one can create mail folder aliases by making symlinks within the $MAIL/
hierarchy. Can that be done on the new system?
316 posts Page 14 of 32