New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 1 of 32
by scott » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:24 pm
So we've been ironing out the bugs on the new shell server for a few weeks -- and while there are still a few things to work on, there doesn't seem to be any reason why folks can't switch to using the new server.

The Shell Access wiki page started to get a bit unwieldy, and it contained extra information that would be going away after the transition. So, I've created a Shell Access 2018 Transition page to house information specific to the transition.

Again, please post here any public feedback or queries, so that other readers can gain the benefit of the answers. For private items, such as those pertaining to security, please email shellmaster@sonic.net .

We're thinking of trying for March 15th as a time to start restricting access to the old shell server. However, that is somewhat flexible, as we don't want to leave anyone behind. :)

-Scott
by apl » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:55 pm
My home directory is not showing up on the new shell server.
It had previously been working fine on the new one, and is still there on the old shell server.
by scott » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:48 am
apl wrote:My home directory is not showing up on the new shell server.
It had previously been working fine on the new one, and is still there on the old shell server.
Give it a shot now.

System has had some occasional weird resource issues going on, I'm continuing with work on it later on this morning (Monday).

-Scott
by apl » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:36 am
Still broken: now I can't log in at all. It shows the MOTD then
/bin/tcsh: Permission denied
Connection to sh.sonic.net closed.
by dherr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 pm
Yup, same here, tho /bin/sh for me.
by scott » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:39 pm
dherr wrote:Yup, same here, tho /bin/sh for me.
Grrr... having some troubles with SELinux.

Should work now, give it a shot again.

BTW, I might delay deployment until we've nailed down what this strange SELinux issue is.

-Scott
by dherr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:55 pm
Yup, working fine now for me.
by apl » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:10 pm
I can log in again, but still can't see my home dir.
by gie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:19 pm
Thank you so much for making it possible to have local alpine folders instead of IMAP, I'm excited and really appreciate having the choice!

I can log in and I have a home directory, but it doesn't have the files from my home directory on old server (for example no .profile , alpine has none of my folders, etc).
by scott » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:30 pm
apl wrote:I can log in again, but still can't see my home dir.
Looking into that now...
316 posts Page 1 of 32