New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 27 of 32
by nhdesign » Fri May 25, 2018 4:52 am
one of my cron jobs keeps sending me email containing

couldn't open tty ? at /usr/local/bin/tellme.pl line 31, <> line 4.
by netllama » Fri May 25, 2018 5:20 am
Indeed its more broken today than yesterday:

$ ssh shell.sonic.net
PTY allocation request failed on channel 0
/bin/sh: Permission denied
Connection to shell.sonic.net closed.

At least yesterday I got the entire motd banner, now I get nothing.
by lr » Fri May 25, 2018 7:43 am
Exact same symptoms as netllama: First pty allocation, then permission denied on sh.

My cron jobs started failing at 3:05am. Which is a suspicious time: the middle of the night, when everyone is asleep (even most system administrators), so nothing should have been changing. The reason the cron jobs fail is that cron claims the script it is supposed to execute doesn't exit; my hunch would be that the web server directory is not mounted:
/bin/sh: /home/l/lr/www.lr.los-gatos.ca.us/mon_ext_net.cron: No such file or directory
Linda and Ralph and John; 735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033; 408-395-1435
by netllama » Fri May 25, 2018 8:39 am
lr wrote:Exact same symptoms as netllama: First pty allocation, then permission denied on sh.

My cron jobs started failing at 3:05am. Which is a suspicious time: the middle of the night, when everyone is asleep (even most system administrators), so nothing should have been changing. The reason the cron jobs fail is that cron claims the script it is supposed to execute doesn't exit; my hunch would be that the web server directory is not mounted:
/bin/sh: /home/l/lr/www.lr.los-gatos.ca.us/mon_ext_net.cron: No such file or directory
Actually, lots of stuff can change in the middle of the night, as that's when daily cronjobs run, which impacts many things.
by nhdesign » Fri May 25, 2018 9:09 am
I'm in. Seems to be fine.

--
Vic
by scott » Fri May 25, 2018 9:54 am
So I worked on the thing all day yesterday, an baby-sat it until bed time. I went to bed at 1am. Naturally, it fell over at 3am.

Foolishly, I had un-instrumented umount, thinking we were out of the woods. No such luck: so I've put that back. If (sigh, when?) it happens again, I'll have more information to go on.

What you're seeing are symptoms of various API filesystems being unmounted. "/bin/sh: permission denied" is because the cgroup filesystems went away. "pty allocation error" because /dev/pts went away. One or both of these causes the failure in pam_mount for its "grantpt()" call, preventing sshfs filesystems from being mounted.

These API filesystems are managed by systemd, and don't even appear in /etc/fstab. I'm thinking of putting them in there, but that might confuse systemd.

I'm very sorry this is happening. Still working on it.

-Scott
by lr » Fri May 25, 2018 7:44 pm
Do I need to point out that systemd has a reputation for being the most bug-ridden software on the planet? Designed and implemented by a person who only is interested in desktop usage, and voices his contempt for servers loudly?

No, I'm not saying that you should abandon CentOS for another operating system, and in particular I'm not going to suggest my pet operating system du jour. I'm just trying to scare you. Because if you aren't scared, you aren't paying attention!

Good luck, and let's hope it keeps it together for 3 days and you get to enjoy the long weekend.
Linda and Ralph and John; 735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033; 408-395-1435
by nhdesign » Sat May 26, 2018 6:23 am
Server refused to allocate pty
Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
Thus no job control in this shell.
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for deve
s
s
s
s
s
by netllama » Sat May 26, 2018 6:29 am
Yup, broken again. Same exact failure as 24 hours ago.
by lr » Sat May 26, 2018 8:30 am
And once again it failed right before 3am; the cron job at 2:55am was still fine, the one at 3:00am failed. The symptoms for logging in are are "PTY allocation request failed..." followed by "/bin/sh: Permission denied". The cron jobs that are still running on the machine fail again because the web server directory seems unreachable.
316 posts Page 27 of 32