New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 9 of 32
by kgc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:33 pm
What client are you using to connect?
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by apl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:36 pm
It looks like the ftp dir is mounted as /ftp/pub/users/
by Guest » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 pm
kgc wrote:What client are you using to connect?
I'm using v7 of SecureCRT.
by patty1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:07 am
What hostname would I use to test ftp on sh.sonic.net? I'm currently using ftp.sonic.net, which of course is aliased to bolt right now.

Also, the missing files problem is happening again on sh.sonic.net. My overnight cron job failed, and here we are at 8:00 a.m. and everything is still gone.
by fosterm » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:09 am
My home dir on sh.sonic.net was working last night, but this morning it's gone. Nothing mounted when I login. Still okay on bolt. I'm using putty to connect.
by JeffC » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:50 pm
Same here. All files gone except .ssh directory and known-hosts there. Presumably they'll get restored again.
by bakul » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:52 pm
patty1 wrote:What hostname would I use to test ftp on sh.sonic.net? I'm currently using ftp.sonic.net, which of course is aliased to bolt right now.
For external use ftp.sonic.net is fine. But as ftp is not a secure protocol, you don't want to upload files via ftp and expose your password. To copy files to your ~/public_ftp on bolt you can use a secure means such as scp, rsync etc.

I was just asking if this will continue to work when/if bolt is decommissioned. Even on bolt ~/public_ftp is on an NFS mounted filesystem so the fix should be easy and can be done now (but for *that* to work the new way of mounting $HOME has to work reliably).

I don't see a bug tracking system on the Sonic website (such as github.com's issue tracking system, for instance) as that would be an ideal way to report and track such issues. Particularly for a complex project like moving all users to a new system there are bound to be a lot of small tasks needing tracking. [May be Sonic has it internally? If so, making it public would provide useful feedback to users who care.]
Also, the missing files problem is happening again on sh.sonic.net. My overnight cron job failed, and here we are at 8:00 a.m. and everything is still gone.
I see the same problem. My guess is the root cause has still not been found. This is another place where a bug tracking system can help as it would allow you record observations and your attempts to fix the problem in one place as opposed to spread through email threads.
by patty1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:01 pm
For external use ftp.sonic.net is fine.
But that points to bolt, so it can't serve my purpose of testing sh.sonic.net.
But as ftp is not a secure protocol, you don't want to upload files via ftp and expose your password.
I don't. I use SFTP.
by patty1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:41 am
I thought from a previous posting that I'd have to use a different path to access my files on sh.sonic.net than I'm currently using on bolt, but I just set up an SFTP session and got logged in to my home directory right away. So it turned out to be easy peasy. :-)
by Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 pm
Can any of these...
  • SHA1 (hmac-sha1)
    SHA1-96 (hmac-sha1-96)
    MD5 (hmac-md5)
    MD5-96 (hmac-md5-96)
    UMAC-64 (umac-64 @ openssh.com)
...get added to the MAC list?
316 posts Page 9 of 32