New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 8 of 32
by apl » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:57 pm
And it's happening again: home dir is not mounting.
by scott » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:11 pm
apl wrote:And it's happening again: home dir is not mounting.
Sorry about that, that was my fault. Should work now.

I'm making changes on the system live in the middle of the day, but I want to get the problem solved.

-Scott
by Guest » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:48 pm
gie wrote:Shell logins are handled using only ssh -- no more telnet
That was the issue. While logged into Bolt I was able to successfully make a SSH connection to SH a couple of times, but now I get:
  • ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
    ssh: connect to host sh.shell.net port 22: Connection timed out
I presume that's a result from live tinkering. At least I know it can work. I'll try again later. As to making a direct connection to SH, that's still not working. I'm no expert, but I think the issue has to do with the SSH-DSS algorithm. Is that available?

Thank you for the help.
by scott » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:59 pm
Guest wrote:
gie wrote:Shell logins are handled using only ssh -- no more telnet
That was the issue. While logged into Bolt I was able to successfully make a SSH connection to SH a couple of times, but now I get:
  • ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
    ssh: connect to host sh.shell.net port 22: Connection timed out
I presume that's a result from live tinkering. At least I know it can work. I'll try again later. As to making a direct connection to SH, that's still not working. I'm no expert, but I think the issue has to do with the SSH-DSS algorithm. Is that available?

Thank you for the help.
This is actually due to denyhosts having locked out Bolt from logging in. I guess someone tried too many bad password logins from Bolt.

I've purged the hosts.deny entry for Bolt, you should be able to log in there momentarily. (It's currently in a grace period before reboot, reboot time is to be at 6:06pm.)
by scott » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:32 pm
Alright, I think I have half of the mount problems solved on sh.sonic.net. There is one more problem lurking, and that is what I'm working on next.

What we're running up against is some bad behavior from pam_mount, which I'm trying to work around with special mount & unmount scripts. I could write something to replace the pam module, but that would take a lot of time, and would be that much more code to maintain on the system.

As of right now, you should be able to log in and see your files.

-Scott
by lr » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 pm
(About web logs)
scott wrote: So please use the /logs/by_user/ directory/directories to get the split-out web logs, and we'll see what we can do to get realtime logs to people _securely_.

Sorry if this is an inconvenience. Feedback appreciated.
First, a big thank you for giving us access logs! I use them rarely, for two purposes.

One is, every few months, to get a general feel for who is accessing my pages, and to check whether I need to do something against spiders that are wasting bandwidth. For that, the current 1-month long view is perfectly sufficient, and it doesn't matter that it isn't real-time.

The other thing, which I've only used a handful of times (in the last 15 or so years of being a Sonic customer) is to look in realtime at the error logs: When I'm messing with a web page and something goes wrong, it's nice to get immediate feedback of what the problem could be. AFAIK, the error log does not get split by customer, and is not visible in the by_user logs. But honestly, if that functionality goes away, it really won't kill me, it's so rare I use it.
Linda and Ralph and John; 735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033; 408-395-1435
by scott » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:14 pm
lr wrote:(About web logs)
scott wrote: So please use the /logs/by_user/ directory/directories to get the split-out web logs, and we'll see what we can do to get realtime logs to people _securely_.

Sorry if this is an inconvenience. Feedback appreciated.
First, a big thank you for giving us access logs! I use them rarely, for two purposes.

One is, every few months, to get a general feel for who is accessing my pages, and to check whether I need to do something against spiders that are wasting bandwidth. For that, the current 1-month long view is perfectly sufficient, and it doesn't matter that it isn't real-time.

The other thing, which I've only used a handful of times (in the last 15 or so years of being a Sonic customer) is to look in realtime at the error logs: When I'm messing with a web page and something goes wrong, it's nice to get immediate feedback of what the problem could be. AFAIK, the error log does not get split by customer, and is not visible in the by_user logs. But honestly, if that functionality goes away, it really won't kill me, it's so rare I use it.
One investigation I need to make is getting customers access to their error logs, as well as having the logs appear in realtime.

Seems to make sense that those should be available...

-Scott
by scott » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:15 pm
So a quick update on the my-files-aren't-there problem: it happened again last night, and this morning, I made more changes, this time to how pam_mount unmounts volumes. Keeping my eye on it.

-Scott
by bakul » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:05 pm
I noticed that ~/public_ftp symlink points to /pub/users/$USER but /pub doesn't exist.
Will the ftp dir be nfs mounted as before?
Thanks!
by Guest » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 am
I'm seeing a MAC failure when connecting to SH. I have zero issues connecting to Bolt, which Trace shows hmac-sha1 is accepted. My program has the following available MACs:
  • SHA1 (hmac-sha1)
    SHA1-96 (hmac-sha1-96)
    MD5 (hmac-md5)
    MD5-96 (hmac-md5-96)
    UMAC-64 (umac-64 @ openssh.com)
Can any of those get added to the MAC list?
316 posts Page 8 of 32