New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 22 of 32
by scott » Tue May 08, 2018 4:22 pm
patty1 wrote:Scott, I see that the topic of auto-logouts has come up again. I'd like the default to be at least an hour or two.

"qnmidas," if by "this email" you mean the one that was sent out today called "Shell server transition notification," do you not currently use the shell machine at Sonic? Last I heard, those announcements (the first one was, to the best of my knowledge, sent out in February) were only going to people who do use the shell, and thus would know the terminology referenced in the emails. If today's email went to the entire Sonic customer base, then yes, it should have said, "This message only applies to you if you use our shell server."
I replied to her under separate cover. But yes, everybody that got emailed had had someone with access to their account call tech support and request shell access.

However, if it was a webmaster that called, it's possible that the primary account holder wouldn't know what such a thing is...something I should have factored into my email. Mea culpa.

-Scott
by scott » Tue May 08, 2018 4:59 pm
nai wrote:I am finally catching up to the new shell server, but I cannot log in.

I used Tera Term SSH and Putty under SSH. When I used Tera Term it says username and passphrase - and I type in the same username and password as I did with bolt. It doesn't work. With Putty it asks for a login, secret token, and password. I use the password for both the secret token and password, and it doesn't work.

However, I then use Tera Term to ssh to bolt again. From bolt, I type % ssh username@sh.sonic.net and when I type in my password it works and I gain access to the sh.sonic.net server.

How can I access the sh.sonic.net directly with Tera Term or Putty?
Make sure you have the latest version of putty -- older versions don't support the modern ciphers used by the new shell server. I'm not sure what the story is with Tera Term, but running the latest version should work fine.

You shouldn't be asked for the secret token unless you've set up google authenticator. If you haven't done that, then something unexpected is going on.

If you still have problems, send an email with your username to shellmaster@sonic.net, which will create a ticket, and we can check the account and logs.

Thanks!

-Scott
by warriorz » Wed May 09, 2018 3:58 pm
Thanks Scott (and Drew),

Have everything figured out and working correctly.
by goetsch » Fri May 11, 2018 6:15 am
As of 2:00 am this morning, my home directory is empty. Help, please...
by gie » Fri May 11, 2018 6:42 am
Yes, I try to log in and get /bin/sh: permission denied

(Presumably as it tries to load my .profile file)

Oldshell is fine.

This is my primary connection to my email so i really can't have this be happening.
by kyezbick » Fri May 11, 2018 8:14 am
Getting same message / login fail as gie. Still need ncurses installed please.
by lr » Fri May 11, 2018 8:55 am
Since yesterday (Thursday) night at about 11:50pm, the new shell machine does not allow me to log in. Here's the error message, if that helps (I'm sure you know already:

> ssh lr@sh.sonic.net
ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer

The machine is pingable.
Linda and Ralph and John; 735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033; 408-395-1435
by warriorz » Fri May 11, 2018 9:10 am
Same problem here since last night.

Last night could log into new server but home directory was empty

This morning no login, "/bin/bash: Permission denied" and connection closes
by patty1 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:57 pm
sh.sonic.net is working for me as of about 2:30 p.m. (The first time I've tried it today.) Are the rest of you getting in to it okay now, too?
by lr » Fri May 11, 2018 3:02 pm
Came back some time mid-morning; I first saw it alive at 10:40.

This doesn't bug me terribly much; I understand that nothing (in particular not computers) are infallible. I need to improve my home monitoring software though; right now it sends me a warning e-mail every 10 minutes if it can't get through to sh.sonic.net (it uses that as a "canary in the mine"); I need to teach it to stop complaining after a few messages, and instead send reminders every 6 or 24 hours if the problem hasn't fixed itself. Sounds like a fun weekend project.
Linda and Ralph and John; 735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033; 408-395-1435
316 posts Page 22 of 32