New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 21 of 32
by roelofs » Wed May 02, 2018 5:32 pm
scott wrote:
roelofs wrote:scott wrote:
  • Currently, there isn't an auto-logout set by default. (You can set your own with tcsh or bash, though.)
Do we want there to be an auto-logout, and if so, what do folks think the timeout value should be?
There is an auto-logout, and it's driving me nuts. oldshell doesn't have one, but not even a vim or tail session on sh disables its auto-logout. (Either one suffices on Linux hosts at work.)

I don't care if sh defaults to auto-logout as long as I have a way to defeat it. I really, really do not want to have to re-login multiple times per day, or even per month. :-(

Thanks,
Greg
Hi Greg,

I can't think of a reason why sh is hanging up on you. I will see if I can't track that down. It might have something to do with tcsh, since my bash sessions don't time out...

-Scott
by roelofs » Wed May 02, 2018 5:55 pm
scott wrote:
roelofs wrote:scott wrote:
  • Currently, there isn't an auto-logout set by default. (You can set your own with tcsh or bash, though.)
Do we want there to be an auto-logout, and if so, what do folks think the timeout value should be?
There is an auto-logout, and it's driving me nuts. oldshell doesn't have one, but not even a vim or tail session on sh disables its auto-logout. (Either one suffices on Linux hosts at work.)

I don't care if sh defaults to auto-logout as long as I have a way to defeat it. I really, really do not want to have to re-login multiple times per day, or even per month. :-(

Thanks,
Greg
Hi Greg,

I can't think of a reason why sh is hanging up on you. I will see if I can't track that down. It might have something to do with tcsh, since my bash sessions don't time out...

-Scott
Hi Scott,

First of all, thank you. I stupidly assumed everyone had encountered this but wasn't as bothered by it as me...

I saw slightly different behavior in the most recent occurrence: the session was still seemingly active in my xterm, but the underlying SSH session had clearly died (keyboard unresponsive), and my local ssh client hadn't yet noticed the lost connection. That suggests it might simply be different sshd behavior w.r.t. inactivity, due either to newer code or to a change in the server-side config.

I vaguely recall an SSH client-side "keep alive" config or command-line option of some sort; let me go check with our googly overlord...

Ah, yes, I can add "ServerAliveInterval 120" (for example) to my ~/.ssh/config file to send a null packet to the server every 120 seconds, which supposedly will prevent such issues. (There's a corresponding server-side pair that can be set in /etc/ssh/sshd_config to do the same for all clients: ClientAliveInterval and, if a maximum number of these is desirable, ClientAliveCountMax. For example, setting those to 120 and 720, respectively, would keep clients alive for up to 24 hours before letting them die.)

Anyway, let me try that and see if it works...

Thanks again!
Greg
by bfmills » Wed May 02, 2018 8:30 pm
I have a Wordpress installation. Will you be migrating our data from one server to the other? Will the public facing URL remain the same? Thanks.
by scott » Thu May 03, 2018 10:35 am
bfmills wrote:I have a Wordpress installation. Will you be migrating our data from one server to the other? Will the public facing URL remain the same? Thanks.
Hello,

The email I sent out was only to accounts where someone had actually called support and requested access to the shell server. I guess a lot of account holders have this access, but someone else on the account (say, a webmaster) had requested the access.

So I apologize for causing confusion. This won't affect web hosting, unless one's webmaster has created a crontab to run commands periodically. I just checked your account, bfmills, and your account doesn't have a crontab, so you should be good to go.

-Scott
by scott » Thu May 03, 2018 12:36 pm
shellmaster@sonic.net now goes to our ops ticket queue, so you'll have other system administrators answering questions besides me.

-Scott
by roelofs » Fri May 04, 2018 2:48 pm
roelofs wrote:
scott wrote:
roelofs wrote:

Thanks,
Greg
Hi Greg,

-Scott
[...]

I vaguely recall an SSH client-side "keep alive" config or command-line option of some sort; let me go check with our googly overlord...

Ah, yes, I can add "ServerAliveInterval 120" (for example) to my ~/.ssh/config file to send a null packet to the server every 120 seconds, which supposedly will prevent such issues. (There's a corresponding server-side pair that can be set in /etc/ssh/sshd_config to do the same for all clients: ClientAliveInterval and, if a maximum number of these is desirable, ClientAliveCountMax. For example, setting those to 120 and 720, respectively, would keep clients alive for up to 24 hours before letting them die.)

Anyway, let me try that and see if it works...
Works like a charm! I'll experiment with longer intervals, but two minutes is definitely sufficient. Happiness achieved. :D

Greg
by scott » Sat May 05, 2018 1:11 am
Got really busy tonight, still a lot of folks logged in:

Code: Select all

_[/etc]_(root@sh)_
# uptime
 01:08:46 up 15 days,  4:14, 32 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.71, 0.69
I'm thinking a 1-hour shell idle timeout might not be a bad idea. What do you think?

-Scott
by casner » Sat May 05, 2018 8:04 am
scott wrote:I'm thinking a 1-hour shell idle timeout might not be a bad idea. What do you think?

-Scott
Please don't put in an idle timeout that users cannot individually reconfigure to remove.

An aside regarding what appeared as auto-logout for Greg: If the connection was completely idle so there were no packets exchanged at all, then the connection may have dropped because the NAT function in his home router timed out the connection state.
by patty1 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:27 am
Hi, Scott. A one-hour timeout sounds good to me. Although I probably won't need to customize that, I support casner's suggestion of users being able to change the timeout.
by scott » Tue May 08, 2018 4:19 pm
kyezbick wrote:Hi Scott,

Can we get ncurses installed please? Had it on the old shell, and I use(d?) it fairly often :D

Dan
It's already installed -- what problems are you seeing?

Code: Select all

Package ncurses-devel-5.9-14.20130511.el7_4.x86_64 already installed and latest version
-Scott
316 posts Page 21 of 32