New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 28 of 32
by patty1 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:45 am
The other posters here are providing more details, but I'll just mention that as of 9:44 a.m. on Saturday, I couldn't even get logged in to sh.sonic.net. I got the password prompt, but after I entered my password, nothing happened. I changed my terminal preferences to point to bolt and got in fine on the first try.
by goetsch » Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 am
My $0.02:

10:40 am May 26, 2018

Tried to log in (both shell.sonic.net and sh.sonic.net); returns message "PTY allocation request failed on channel 0" and just sits there, no password prompt, no nothin'...

Logged in just fine to bolt.sonic.net
by goetsch » Sat May 26, 2018 10:30 am
goetsch wrote:10:40 am May 26, 2018
That would be 10:20 am May 26, 2018
by scott » Sat May 26, 2018 11:55 am
The problems with shell are due to out-of-memory. I'm tracking down who's doing what right now.

-Scott
by scott » Sat May 26, 2018 12:36 pm
scott wrote:The problems with shell are due to out-of-memory. I'm tracking down who's doing what right now.

-Scott
I should have said the _current_ problem (at the time) of the host needed to be rebooted every few minutes was due to constant oom conditions, so much so that I suspect foul play.

I've cranked down the memory limits for user processes even more than they already were -- please let me know if you have anything that fails to run under those constraints.

Looking into the 3am failure situation now...

-Scott
by scott » Sat May 26, 2018 12:45 pm
lr wrote:Do I need to point out that systemd has a reputation for being the most bug-ridden software on the planet?
Believe me, I feel the pain.
lr wrote: Designed and implemented by a person who only is interested in desktop usage, and voices his contempt for servers loudly?
I had not heard that about him. I will say that hearing that pokes that part of me that wants to replace systemd with sysvinit, however I could managed to do that.
lr wrote: No, I'm not saying that you should abandon CentOS for another operating system, and in particular I'm not going to suggest my pet operating system du jour. I'm just trying to scare you. Because if you aren't scared, you aren't paying attention!
I'm not scared, more like angry. It's kind of a love/hate relationship with the guy, because I actually like pulseaudio (for my purposes), but can't stand systemd.
lr wrote:Good luck, and let's hope it keeps it together for 3 days and you get to enjoy the long weekend.
I'm probably going to have to be up at 3am tomorrow morning to watch what happens. I think, though, that it is due to an explosion of user cronjobs at 3am...going to see if there's a way to limit them to one job at a time.

-Scott
by yronwode » Mon May 28, 2018 12:28 am
Functionally working fine. I am, however, bumped from the server due to inactivity intermittently whereas i had not been prior in the old shell and could retain a connection indefinitely (i have an ongoing IRC login there which helps me to coordinate with others via that channel).

I'm unsure if this disconnect is due to the sh.sonic.net environment or something which is intermittently disconnecting on my dual-fusion service (we are occasionally getting complete disconnects also in a VPN tunnel we're running through that dual-fusion connection and are also trouble-shooting that).

SHOULD i be able to leave myself logged in via via terminal in shell in IRC indefinitely with the new shell environment?
by scott » Mon May 28, 2018 9:04 am
yronwode wrote:Functionally working fine. I am, however, bumped from the server due to inactivity intermittently whereas i had not been prior in the old shell and could retain a connection indefinitely (i have an ongoing IRC login there which helps me to coordinate with others via that channel).

I'm unsure if this disconnect is due to the sh.sonic.net environment or something which is intermittently disconnecting on my dual-fusion service (we are occasionally getting complete disconnects also in a VPN tunnel we're running through that dual-fusion connection and are also trouble-shooting that).

SHOULD i be able to leave myself logged in via via terminal in shell in IRC indefinitely with the new shell environment?
Yes, you should be able to leave irc running indefinitely. I haven't added any timeouts of any kind yet, and when I do, it will probably be a 2-hour timeout for an idle shell prompt only: that shouldn't affect your connection if you're running a program like irc, alpine, mutt, vi, or emacs.

I'll take another look at the ssh timeouts, maybe there's something I can tweak that will prevent the problems that you're seeing.

-Scott

p.s. the idle shell timeouts will be set in such a way that customers can turn them off.
by scott » Mon May 28, 2018 12:21 pm
scott wrote:I'll take another look at the ssh timeouts, maybe there's something I can tweak that will prevent the problems that you're seeing.
So I increased the ssh keepalive timeout, and turned of tcpkeepalive -- I'll bet that works once and for all!

-Scott
by yronwode » Mon May 28, 2018 1:40 pm
scott wrote:So I increased the ssh keepalive timeout, and turned of tcpkeepalive -- I'll bet that works once and for all!t
Thank you very much!
316 posts Page 28 of 32