New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 6 of 32
by goetsch » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:24 pm
Adding my two cents: after going in and adding all my cron jobs in sh.sonic.net, I'm now getting regular "this job didn't run because we can't find the script it's calling" messages. Sure enough, my scripts folder--a subdirectory of my home directory--doesn't exist. In fact the only stuff I see in my home directory is

.cache

and

.config

What the what?
by scott » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:17 pm
patty1 wrote:Scott, as others have noted above, something has gone very, very wrong with sh.sonic.net.

The only directory within my home directory is News, and it's empty. All my other files are gone, including my .login and .cshrc files. That explains why cron didn't find my calendar overnight.

¿¿Que pasa??
I'm looking at the logs now to see what happened.

-Scott
by scott » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:40 pm
scott wrote:
patty1 wrote:Scott, as others have noted above, something has gone very, very wrong with sh.sonic.net.

The only directory within my home directory is News, and it's empty. All my other files are gone, including my .login and .cshrc files. That explains why cron didn't find my calendar overnight.

¿¿Que pasa??
I'm looking at the logs now to see what happened.

-Scott
This appears to be from a side effect of setting up the chroots with bind mounts.

I've run into problems with bind mounts of the selinuxfs filesystem, seems also something similar can happen with the devptsfs filesystem (which will cause mount to fail when people log in). I think I have a solution, will have to test it. Meanwhile, system should be up now.

Please pardon our dust? :)

-Scott
by patty1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:40 pm
It's okay for now. :D

Yes, I will pardon your dust! Just so long as all the disappearing-shell-server problems occur BEFORE you switch off Bolt! :lol:
by scott » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:37 pm
bakul wrote:Once in a while I use ssh to run a remote command on shell.sonic.net (actually more often than dropping into a login shell). For example

$ ssh sh.sonic.net pwd

On sh.sonic.net it produces an extra "Authenticated with partial success." on stderr.
Would it be possible to remove this?

Thanks!
That message is a side effect of the host being configured to use two-factor authentication, and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off (short of actually patching sshd). Can you redirect stderr to /dev/null?

-Scott
by warriorz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:35 pm
Anyone else having this problem:

0) I am using ssh with keys to log into sonic
1) I can login to bolt.sonic.net with no problem.
2) I can log into sh.sonic.net from bolt.sonic.net with no problem
3) I cannot log into sh.sonic.net directly. ssh -vvv shows my rsa-id key being found (locally) but I get

ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer

and the connection drops. Using OpenSSH_7.6p1, LibreSSL 2.6.2 on High Sierra.

I have an open support request in case anyone at sonic needs more details. This is beginning to look like a server configuration problem and I'm hoping Scott can get a look at the server logs and help pinpoint where the problem actually is.
by nhdesign » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:11 pm
patty1 wrote:
qm wrote: - trn exists, but there is no default host, and news.sonic.net is not working. Does Sonic still have a news server? I miss USENET.

Sonic turned off their news server a year or more ago...

trn works fine with eternal-september or another newserver of your choice. (Or at least, it will work fine once sh.sonic.net is restored properly.)

BTW, regarding your question about what people are using other than trn for news, most people are using newsreaders on their own computers these days, not shell programs.
I still use tin.
--
Vic
by scott » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:14 pm
warriorz wrote:Anyone else having this problem:

0) I am using ssh with keys to log into sonic
1) I can login to bolt.sonic.net with no problem.
2) I can log into sh.sonic.net from bolt.sonic.net with no problem
3) I cannot log into sh.sonic.net directly. ssh -vvv shows my rsa-id key being found (locally) but I get

ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer

and the connection drops. Using OpenSSH_7.6p1, LibreSSL 2.6.2 on High Sierra.

I have an open support request in case anyone at sonic needs more details. This is beginning to look like a server configuration problem and I'm hoping Scott can get a look at the server logs and help pinpoint where the problem actually is.
Hi,

Please email the IP address you are trying to connect from to shellmaster@sonic.net -- I can try to track down the problem in the logs with that.

Thanks. :)

-Scott
by scott » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:13 pm
scott wrote:
bakul wrote:Once in a while I use ssh to run a remote command on shell.sonic.net (actually more often than dropping into a login shell). For example

$ ssh sh.sonic.net pwd

On sh.sonic.net it produces an extra "Authenticated with partial success." on stderr.
Would it be possible to remove this?

Thanks!
That message is a side effect of the host being configured to use two-factor authentication, and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off (short of actually patching sshd). Can you redirect stderr to /dev/null?
Another option is to use the "-q" option to ssh.

-Scott
by bakul » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 am
scott wrote:
scott wrote: That message is a side effect of the host being configured to use two-factor authentication, and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off (short of actually patching sshd). Can you redirect stderr to /dev/null?
Another option is to use the "-q" option to ssh.

-Scott
Thanks for the suggestion! That spurred me to do "man ssh_config" & add

LogLevel ERROR

to ~/.ssh/config -- ERROR is one before the default INFO level.
316 posts Page 6 of 32