FAXLINE PDF has a blank page, source PDF doesn't

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by scharfs » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:55 pm
I sent a five page PDF. Sent it to myself to test it prior to sending it to the intended recipient. Page 3 arrived blank even though it was not blank in the original. Tried it twice with the same result.

The second time it delivered the FAX but under "Sent FAXES" it said that it was making a second attempt, "transmitting Sending fax (attempt 2 of 5)."

I rearranged the pages of the original document, reprinted the PDF, and tried a third time, and the page that didn't FAX before still didn't print, but now didn't print as page 4. Yet it's in the original PDF.
by virtualmike » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:00 pm
It sounds like something weird within the PDF, due to the content that you converted to PDF.

What program are you using to convert to PDF? What are you converting?
by scharfs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:24 pm
I'm using PDFCreator, which lets you print to a PDF (or JPG). It's a Word document with four JPGs in it, and some text on the first page. It all displays and prints just fine with Acrobat Reader. Four of the five pages appear just fine in the FAX.

It doesn't matter now. I went back to San Francisco today, and waited in line for two hours to drop off the documents. It was stuff the Chinese consulate requires for a visa application that they neglect to mention on their web site.

Bizarre that the FAX conversion software just left one page blank like that.
by virtualmike » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:56 pm
I suspected there might be images in the file. PDF tools use different methods to render images into the file, and the fact the images were within a Word document can really muddle the situation. It's probably one specific image.

Possibly resizing the image or putting some text just before it on that page might lead to different results.

I'm sure it's not worth your time, but it's possible one of the other PDF viewers (or perhaps an older version of one of them) might also have had a problem reading the file.
by scharfs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:37 pm
I scanned four documents to an SD card on the same multi-function printer and inserted them all into the Word file. The one that doesn't FAX isn't out of the ordinary, and it's not the largest image either.

It's okay, I have no more time to spend on this project.
5 posts Page 1 of 1