New shell server beta testing

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
101 posts Page 3 of 11
by marcus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:58 am
Would it be possible to recreate the link /usr/local/bin/perl -> /usr/bin/perl on the new server as it was on the old one? This would save me the trouble of updating all my scripts. Thanks!
by scott » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:54 pm
marcus wrote:Would it be possible to recreate the link /usr/local/bin/perl -> /usr/bin/perl on the new server as it was on the old one? This would save me the trouble of updating all my scripts. Thanks!
Done. :)
by scott » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:58 pm
lrralph wrote:Been using the new one for a few days. Used to work good, until this morning:

Code: Select all

> ssh lr@sh.sonic.net
Authenticated with partial success.
Password: <have to type my password here>
Last login: Wed Jan 1
I hope that this is a little oops, and passwordless login (with authenticated ssh keys) will start working again. Honestly, for the shell login it's not a big deal; I can type my password a few times a day and it won't kill me. But for rsync, scp and the like it's gnarly. The problem does not exist in the old shell.sonic.net machine (same NFS file system), so it's not my ssh key files.

Again, thank you for working on a new server!
Ralph
Hi Ralph,

I was working on the authentication config today. You shouldn't need your password anymore for ssh public key authentication.

However, that message will still be displayed. It comes from the two-factor authentication configuration I just added. Does the message itself cause a problem? I can try to get rid of it.
by lr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:43 pm
No, the message doesn't bother rsync or scp when they run ssh internally. Now, if someone were to run commands remotely via ssh *and* parse the output, they would see that message. Dumb example: Do a "ssh <user>@sh.sonic.net ls -1": you will see one extra line at the beginning, which is not a file name, but the message. Personally, I don't think it's worth much of your time to work around; people who parse ssh output should know how to take life in their own hands :)

Completely unrelated observation, in case someone else trips over it: If you have ancient C or C++ executables that were compiled on shell, they may not work on sh, and give you this error message: "error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". The correct response to this is (in my not at all humble opinion): recompile and relink your program, and don't bother the sys admin with this kind of minor stuff.
Linda and Ralph and John; 735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033; 408-395-1435
by scott » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:44 pm
BTW, for those interested in using google authenticator for two-factor authentication on the new shell server, I've added the command "google_authenticator_help.sh" that explains what to do. :)

Edit: or, just run sonic-google-authenticator.sh after installing the app on your phone (or whatever device you are using for 2FA).

-Scott
by scott » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:19 pm
lr wrote:No, the message doesn't bother rsync or scp when they run ssh internally. Now, if someone were to run commands remotely via ssh *and* parse the output, they would see that message. Dumb example: Do a "ssh <user>@sh.sonic.net ls -1": you will see one extra line at the beginning, which is not a file name, but the message. Personally, I don't think it's worth much of your time to work around; people who parse ssh output should know how to take life in their own hands :)
If it helps, the message is a log message that gets spit out on stderr. So this suppress the message:

Code: Select all

$ ssh sh.sonic.net pwd 2> /dev/null
/home/s/scott
However, you're likely to want stderr for other things. I'll have to cogitate on that.
lr wrote: Completely unrelated observation, in case someone else trips over it: If you have ancient C or C++ executables that were compiled on shell, they may not work on sh, and give you this error message: "error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". The correct response to this is (in my not at all humble opinion): recompile and relink your program, and don't bother the sys admin with this kind of minor stuff.
[/quote]

Well, yes, it's kind of a foregone conclusion that really old binaries can't be supported without a disproportionate amount of headache...
by lr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:16 pm
scott wrote:However, you're likely to want stderr for other things.
Well, again people who send ssh commands and get too hung up about stderr deserve what they get. There is a place for paranoia, and ssh is not that place. Don't worry too much about it, in particular not for me.
Linda and Ralph and John; 735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033; 408-395-1435
by fiberadm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:34 pm
scott wrote:
fiberadm wrote:But I immediately found that Time::Piece, for one, is missing from the new server.
I thought I'd got all the perl modules that are on Bolt, but I guess some slipped through the cracks. Will ensure that they are more or less in sync.
-Scott
I guess that crack must have swallowed Time::Piece . :?
by fiberadm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:35 pm
Scott,
The new server doesn't seem to time out. Is that intentional?
-LenW
by scott » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:38 am
fiberadm wrote:
scott wrote:
fiberadm wrote:But I immediately found that Time::Piece, for one, is missing from the new server.
I thought I'd got all the perl modules that are on Bolt, but I guess some slipped through the cracks. Will ensure that they are more or less in sync.
-Scott
I guess that crack must have swallowed Time::Piece . :?
Sorry about that. Installed it -- haven't got around to syncing all the perl modules yet with what Bolt has, though.

-Scott
101 posts Page 3 of 11