New shell server beta testing

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
101 posts Page 9 of 11
by bakul » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:16 pm
scott wrote:
bakul wrote:Thanks for fixing this quickly!

BTW, I didn't get any email about shell machine switch over (either at my perm. email address or at sonic, which I forward to my perm. email address). I found out about this from a friend. I do get billing email + MOTD kind of messages so this was strange. I poked around some and added my perm. address as genera contactl on the member info page - which was missing. Strange.... Not sure what changed. Anyway, will this change fix the problem now? Thx!
Hmm, I don't see "bakul" having a crontab, nor had you logged in for two months, if I'm not mistaken. Will consider trickling out another note to shell users who haven't logged in for a while.

-Scott
I don't regularly login (I do so mainly to debug some network related issue). The issue was that I get emails sent to motd@lists.sonic.net (my sonic id must be subscribed to it, and I forward it to my permanent address) but not the email about the shell machine switchover. This must've gone to some other mailing list since that is how my friend knew about it.

The real question I have is what do I need to do make sure I don't miss such emails. I guessed that there is probably a mailing list that goes to primary customer contact email addresses. Is this the case? If so that might explain why I didn't get the switchover email as the contact field on my member info was blank. I've fixed that and just needed a confirmation that it was the right thing to do.

Thanks for your response!
by netllama » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:10 pm
I also did *not* receive any notification of the transition. Had I not been already following this thread, i still wouldn't know. Sonic's status rss feed also did not include any announcement. If any notice was sent, it definitely was not broad enough.
by agro18 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:01 pm
So trivial, I'm embarrassed to ask really ... can we please have 'units' on the new machine.
by scott » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:10 pm
netllama wrote:I also did *not* receive any notification of the transition. Had I not been already following this thread, i still wouldn't know. Sonic's status rss feed also did not include any announcement. If any notice was sent, it definitely was not broad enough.
I'll send out a broader alert.
by scott » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:11 pm
agro18 wrote:So trivial, I'm embarrassed to ask really ... can we please have 'units' on the new machine.
Don't be embarrassed to ask for software adds.

Units is now installed. :)
by nhdesign » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:43 am
This mornings prompt
[nhdesign@sh ~]$

should be
bolt.sonic.net:nhdesign:/home/n/nhdesign 70 %
except sh.sonic.net

[nhdesign@sh ~]$ ls -a
. .. .curmail .prevmail .tin

where are my files?

--
Vic
by scott » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:37 am
nhdesign wrote:This mornings prompt
[nhdesign@sh ~]$

should be
bolt.sonic.net:nhdesign:/home/n/nhdesign 70 %
except sh.sonic.net

[nhdesign@sh ~]$ ls -a
. .. .curmail .prevmail .tin

where are my files?

--
Vic
They should be back.

I had tested the system before with 30 simultaneous sessions logging in and out constantly, and never ran into the problem. I hammered the new system hard, precisely because I didn't want something like this to slow us down. Murphy, apparently had other plans.

Obviously we aren't going to transition to the new server until we get this problem figured out, which I'm hoping will be in the next couple of days. I'm chagrined to present this new server to customers -- with its exotic environment -- only to have it fail to work properly.

-Scott
by patty1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:47 am

20 lashes, Scott! :lol:

But seriously, I appreciate your commitment to getting everything stable before transitioning.
by meyerbo2 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:25 pm
Scott, As you may recall, I send out group e-mails, all to those who have affirmatively said they in fact wish to receive them.

One result which I have just encountered in one of the group e-mails is below.

I am told by my web "guru" that this is a Google issue for which there is a work around, per the link which he has given to me; that link is immediately below.

I would certainly appreciate your thoughts on this, as otherwise certain recipients will not be receiving e-mails which they have said they would like to receive.

Joe
meyerbo2

***************************************************************************************************************************
As for the other addresses in the e-mail, they are all domains hosted by Google. There is a known issue that Google will not delivery e-mails to multiple
domains in the same transaction. Someone posted a workaround to this here that you can pass onto Scott:
https://www.dynobin.com/google-mx-multi ... supported/

*****************************************************************************************************************

> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> ... while talking to aspmx.l.google.com.:
>>>> DATA
> <<< 451-4.3.0 Multiple destination domains per transaction is
> unsupported. Please
> <<< 451 4.3.0 try again. n11si261395pgq.230 - gsmtp
> <dis@beamishguild.com>... Deferred: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
> destination domains per transaction is unsupported. Please
> unsupported. Please
> <peabs@beamishguild.com>... Deferred: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
>>>> DATA
> unsupported. Please
> <<< 451 4.3.0 try again. 44-v6si321141plb.40 - gsmtp
> <christian.hughes@cutwatersf.com>... Deferred: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
> 550 5.1.2 <marilee@marileegaffneydesign.com>... Host unknown
> (Name server: marileegaffneydesign.com.: host not found)
>>>> DATA
> unsupported. Please
> <<< 451 4.3.0 try again. p11si259682pgs.537 - gsmtp
> <ksomeah@paloaltou.edu>... Deferred: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
>>>> DATA
> unsupported.

*************************************************************************************************
by scott » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:27 pm
meyerbo2 wrote:Scott, As you may recall, I send out group e-mails, all to those who have affirmatively said they in fact wish to receive them.

One result which I have just encountered in one of the group e-mails is below.

I am told by my web "guru" that this is a Google issue for which there is a work around, per the link which he has given to me; that link is immediately below.

I would certainly appreciate your thoughts on this, as otherwise certain recipients will not be receiving e-mails which they have said they would like to receive.

Joe
meyerbo2

***************************************************************************************************************************
As for the other addresses in the e-mail, they are all domains hosted by Google. There is a known issue that Google will not delivery e-mails to multiple
domains in the same transaction. Someone posted a workaround to this here that you can pass onto Scott:
https://www.dynobin.com/google-mx-multi ... supported/

*****************************************************************************************************************

> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>>>> DATA
> unsupported. Please
> <dis@beamishguild.com>... Deferred: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
> unsupported. Please
> <peabs@beamishguild.com>... Deferred: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
>>>> DATA
> unsupported. Please
> <<< 451 4.3.0 try again. 44-v6si321141plb.40 - gsmtp
> <christian.hughes@cutwatersf.com>... Deferred: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
> 550 5.1.2 <marilee@marileegaffneydesign.com>... Host unknown
> (Name server: marileegaffneydesign.com.: host not found)
>>>> DATA
> unsupported. Please
> <<< 451 4.3.0 try again. p11si259682pgs.537 - gsmtp
> <ksomeah@paloaltou.edu>... Deferred: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
>>>> DATA
> unsupported.

*************************************************************************************************
Hi,

We're trying to figure out why this would work on Bolt but not on sh. (They both use the same smarthost, results should be exactly the same.)

-Scott
101 posts Page 9 of 11