New shell server beta testing

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
101 posts Page 6 of 11
by scott » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:59 pm
scott wrote:
scott wrote: So took a much more careful look at what alpine is doing -- turns out, it is successfully locking the folder, but then tries to lock it again (and fails, because it is already locked). Something is just not right, will investigate that further.

However, xauth is working now, which is another program that relies on hard links to implement locking semantics. So it escapes my why alpine would be having trouble, but I'll dig in and get to the bottom of that.
Reposted for Paul -- don't worry, we won't leave your mailboxes orphaned. :)

Thank you for the screenshot, that is what I see in alpine, also, when I try to open a local folder. It shouldn't be doing that, still investigating.

-Scott
by scott » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:31 pm
Okay, so slowly digging my way out -- getting caught up with these items.

alpine should work for folders on sshfs now. Turns out it has two types of locking -- one is a standard locking mechanism, and one is designed to get around difficulties with SunOS's NFS implementation. The latter was causing the problems on sshfs -- ask me if you want the gory details, but I set alpine to use the std locking mechanism, which should work just fine on sshfs.

So alpine can read mailboxes under one's home directory -- but I still think we should facilitate letting people move to IMAP-based mailboxes if they so desire. (This makes them available to desktop clients, not just the shell servers.)

-Scott
by csardas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 pm
Scoot,
Great! Thanks for the effort and 'fix'. I can now access all my folders from Alpine as well as Pine.

I'm a happy camper and can now embark on my travels once I update Putty on my traveling laptop.

The only thing I would like is some method of not having to enter my PW when starting Pine or Alpne.
Is there a pinerc entry that would do that for me?

Can the existing mailboxes be moved or copied to IMAP space when that option is available.

Paul
by scott » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:29 pm
csardas wrote:Scoot,
Great! Thanks for the effort and 'fix'. I can now access all my folders from Alpine as well as Pine.

I'm a happy camper and can now embark on my travels once I update Putty on my traveling laptop.

The only thing I would like is some method of not having to enter my PW when starting Pine or Alpne.

Can the existing mailboxes be moved or copied to IMAP space when that option is available.

Paul
I remember seeing that there is a way to use a password stored in a file with alpine. Will hunt that down.
I think we're going to have conversion scripts on Bolt, since it has access to the mail spools directly -- something we don't want to do for the new shell server. (The backend will be changing eventually, so time to rip off that band-aid...)

-Scott
by scott » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:16 pm
Working on the shell FAQ wiki page -- beta testers might want to take a look at it:

https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Shell_Access
by scott » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:30 pm
scott wrote:
csardas wrote:Scoot,

Paul
I remember seeing that there is a way to use a password stored in a file with alpine. Will hunt that down.
I think we're going to have conversion scripts on Bolt, since it has access to the mail spools directly -- something we don't want to do for the new shell server. (The backend will be changing eventually, so time to rip off that band-aid...)
A follow-up on this. You're supposed to be able to touch .alpine.passfile, then run alpine to facilitate this. However, there appears to be some kind of operation it wants to do with self-signed certificates to encrypt the password file.

From what I can gather, alpine is supposed to automatically set up a certificate, but it doesn't seem to want to do that. Googling the problem indicates that people have set up their own certificates and had it work, but my efforts to do that have failed, also.

I would encourage people to explore how to make this work. It appears the password would be protected by another password anyway, so perhaps it defeats the purpose of what is trying to be accomplished.
by meyerbos » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 am
Every day I send out a group e-mail; usually there are three or
four bounces (these are bounces which have been happening for
quite a while, and I have not got around to either deleting them
or fixing them).

Today, however, it appears that a great many were not delivered. This is potentially quite serious,
as a decent portion of my business is derived from these daily
e-mails.

I am particularly concerned with the statement (which appears
below more than once):

"Multiple destination domains per transaction is unsupported"

if this means that I cannot send out a group e-mail, or that
there is some limit to my doing that. Every person to whom I send
the group e-mail has personally, affirmatively requested them.
There is no spam. I have in the past cleared this with Sonic, and
they know this.
by miken » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:53 am
meyerbos wrote:Every day I send out a group e-mail; usually there are three or
four bounces (these are bounces which have been happening for
quite a while, and I have not got around to either deleting them
or fixing them).

Today, however, it appears that a great many were not delivered. This is potentially quite serious,
as a decent portion of my business is derived from these daily
e-mails.

I am particularly concerned with the statement (which appears
below more than once):

"Multiple destination domains per transaction is unsupported"

if this means that I cannot send out a group e-mail, or that
there is some limit to my doing that. Every person to whom I send
the group e-mail has personally, affirmatively requested them.
There is no spam. I have in the past cleared this with Sonic, and
they know this.

Is this pertaining to the beta shell server? If not you should create a new thread or contact support https://sonic.com/support. It sounds like a limitation of the email client you are using.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by meyerbo2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:11 pm
Yes, This is the new beta server

I can send out the e-mails with Pine and the present server, and have done so for years now.

But with the new beta server and Alpine, I am encountering the problems which I briefly describe
by scott » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:39 pm
meyerbo2 wrote:Yes, This is the new beta server

I can send out the e-mails with Pine and the present server, and have done so for years now.

But with the new beta server and Alpine, I am encountering the problems which I briefly describe
Looking into this right now.
101 posts Page 6 of 11