New shell server beta testing

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
101 posts Page 5 of 11
by anatola2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:13 am
Scott, thanks for all the work on the server.
I've mainly been among those who use the shell primarily for email; don't use tinyfuge, IRC and other archaic stuff much any more. I've tested the imap link to my mutt box, looks fine. I did a draft of an email. My sig line usually inserts a short bit from fortune. Will fortune (a minor detail now) be added later?

Thanks again!
by Gypsy Baron » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:17 pm
Scott,

Not sure I follow all that as to converting the folders to IMAP. I really need to be able
to access all the folders in csardas/crl-mail as many older contacts and data only
exist in the saved mail folders I created by month.

A confusing point is that now I can access the INBOX in both Pine and Alpine after making changes to the Pine/Alpine config file as shown here:

user-domain = sonic.net
smtp-server = mail.sonic.net/novalidate-cert/tls/user=csardas
nntp-server = <No Value Set>
inbox-path = {imap.sonic.net:993/novalidate-cert/ssl/user=csardas}INBOX
incoming-archive-folders = .mailbox

The title bar in each app shows Pine or Alpine and the version number and the INBOX contents below. Thus I assume these are two different INBOX's with identical content.
If the Pine INBOX was 'coverted', should there not be a method to convert the folders that I create each month when the app asks if I want to delete the current 'sent-mail' folder.

Pine now asks me for my PW when I enter Pine, referring to me as IMAP user. This is new behavior since the update of the config file. Alpine does the same.

Paul
by scott » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:41 pm
anatola2 wrote:Scott, thanks for all the work on the server.
I've mainly been among those who use the shell primarily for email; don't use tinyfuge, IRC and other archaic stuff much any more. I've tested the imap link to my mutt box, looks fine. I did a draft of an email. My sig line usually inserts a short bit from fortune. Will fortune (a minor detail now) be added later?

Thanks again!
Definitely an oversight -- gotta have fortune!

It is installed now. :)

-Scott
by scott » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:45 pm
Gypsy Baron wrote:Scott,

Not sure I follow all that as to converting the folders to IMAP. I really need to be able
to access all the folders in csardas/crl-mail as many older contacts and data only
exist in the saved mail folders I created by month.

A confusing point is that now I can access the INBOX in both Pine and Alpine after making changes to the Pine/Alpine config file as shown here:

user-domain = sonic.net
smtp-server = mail.sonic.net/novalidate-cert/tls/user=csardas
nntp-server = <No Value Set>
incoming-archive-folders = .mailbox

The title bar in each app shows Pine or Alpine and the version number and the INBOX contents below. Thus I assume these are two different INBOX's with identical content.
If the Pine INBOX was 'coverted', should there not be a method to convert the folders that I create each month when the app asks if I want to delete the current 'sent-mail' folder.

Pine now asks me for my PW when I enter Pine, referring to me as IMAP user. This is new behavior since the update of the config file. Alpine does the same.

Paul
I'll go over this with a fine-toothed comb when I am back in the office. I do know that to get at your IMAP inbox and folders, you're going to need your password -- if it wasn't asking you for one, it was probably looking at the local mailbox.

I need to go through the local mail configuration and make sure mail is getting routed as it should...

-Scott
by scott » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:02 pm
Took a few minutes today to install the bsd-games and filter packages from source. While CentOS has "fortune", it doesn't have the rest of bsd-games or filter (which contains things like "chef" and "b1ff").

Figured it wouldn't be a proper multi-user system without these traditional applications installed...

-Scott
by Gypsy Baron » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:38 am
Scott,

Both Pine and Alpine as for a password. Before adding this line to my config:

Pine did not ask for a password. So I assume that the INBOX is in IMAP territory and the same for Pine and Alpine.

Now I just need to have all my 'sent mail' folders and other folders I created in pine over the years be accessible in Alpine. The folders all show up in the same screen as the INBOX and Pine can still access them but Alpine can not.

Paul
by scott » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:14 pm

Pine did not ask for a password. So I assume that the INBOX is in IMAP territory and the same for Pine and Alpine.

Now I just need to have all my 'sent mail' folders and other folders I created in pine over the years be accessible in Alpine. The folders all show up in the same screen as the INBOX and Pine can still access them but Alpine can not.

Paul
I'm going to look into the mailbox issue now -- but remember, this is for sh.sonic.net. If you use Bolt, you're probably going to want to move your modified .pinerc to the side, as I'm not sure if any of that will work on Bolt.

Okay, just tested it on Bolt, and surprisingly pine actually works a little bit (though complains about the SSL certificate). Don't forget you're using the same home directory on both hosts, and configuration changes on sh.sonic.net might also affect bolt.sonic.net.

I'm going to look into the ~/Mail IMAP access issue, will let you know how it goes.

-Scott
by scott » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:56 pm
Update: Turns out a lot of problems folks are having with the new shell server can be boiled down to a single oversight in sshfs/sftp -- they don't implement link(2), which is used by a lot of file locking schemes.

There are actually patches on the net to implement that, and I think at this point integrating them into sh.sonic.net will be a bit of a "magic bullet" that will solve a lot of problems (e.g., problems locking mailboxes with alpine, as well as xauth locking).

Delving into that now.

-Scott
by scott » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:58 pm
scott wrote:Update: Turns out a lot of problems folks are having with the new shell server can be boiled down to a single oversight in sshfs/sftp -- they don't implement link(2), which is used by a lot of file locking schemes.

There are actually patches on the net to implement that, and I think at this point integrating them into sh.sonic.net will be a bit of a "magic bullet" that will solve a lot of problems (e.g., problems locking mailboxes with alpine, as well as xauth locking).

Delving into that now.

-Scott
Okay, xauth should work now.

Turns out link(2) _is_ implemented...as an extension to the sftp protocol, and is supported by sshfs.

So took a much more careful look at what alpine is doing -- turns out, it is successfully locking the folder, but then tries to lock it again (and fails, because it is already locked). Something is just not right, will investigate that further.

However, xauth is working now, which is another program that relies on hard links to implement locking semantics. So it escapes my why alpine would be having trouble, but I'll dig in and get to the bottom of that.

-Scott
by csardas » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:29 pm
scott wrote:

Paul
I'm going to look into the mailbox issue now -- but remember, this is for sh.sonic.net. If you use Bolt, you're probably going to want to move your modified .pinerc to the side, as I'm not sure if any of that will work on Bolt.

Okay, just tested it on Bolt, and surprisingly pine actually works a little bit (though complains about the SSL certificate). Don't forget you're using the same home directory on both hosts, and configuration changes on sh.sonic.net might also affect bolt.sonic.net.

I'm going to look into the ~/Mail IMAP access issue, will let you know how it goes.

-Scott
Scott,
I have no issues with Pine. After the update to pinerc it now asks for a password, the same as Alpine. With Pine I can still access ALL of my folders just as I have always done. It is only Alpine that is giving me problems as it refuses to successfully read any of the folders other then INBOX.

Paul
alpine-1.jpg
My folder display in both Pine and Alpine The path in Pine is 'crl-mail' for all but INBOX
alpine-1.jpg (189.26 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
101 posts Page 5 of 11