New shell server beta testing

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
101 posts Page 10 of 11
by meyerbo2 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:08 pm
Hi, Scott,

Here are similar "anomalies" we are experiencing with e-mails sent to aol.com accounts.

Joe
meyerbo2

*********************************************************************************************************
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<rsrogers@aol.com>:
Temporary failure during AOL relay: 451 Resources temporarily unavailable [4.16.20]
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

<sleqve@aol.com>:
Temporary failure during AOL relay: 451 Resources temporarily unavailable [4.16.20]

**************************************************************************************************
by netllama » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:28 pm
meyerbo2 wrote:Hi, Scott,

Here are similar "anomalies" we are experiencing with e-mails sent to aol.com accounts.

Joe
meyerbo2

*********************************************************************************************************

<rsrogers@aol.com>:

<sleqve@aol.com>:

**************************************************************************************************

Wow, people still pay for AOL??
by virtualmike » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 pm
netllama wrote:Wow, people still pay for AOL??
Not necessarily--one can get a free AOL email address, just like with Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail/Outlook.

@OP: You can find information about AOL error messages and other AOL mail topics for Postmasters here.

It also appears that AOL is making modifications to its infrastructure, as suggested by this article.
by scott » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:22 pm
meyerbo2 wrote:Hi, Scott,

Joe
meyerbo2

<rsrogers@aol.com>:

<sleqve@aol.com>:

Hi Joe,

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for this yet. I just put out word on our system operations list asking for other admins to help determine why you are seeing these errors with sh.sonic.net but not with Bolt.

-Scott
by fiberadm » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 pm
Is it possible that some things are still missing from 'sh' ?
I can't find htpasswd - had to do it from Bolt.
-LenW
by scott » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:47 am
fiberadm wrote:Is it possible that some things are still missing from 'sh' ?
I can't find htpasswd - had to do it from Bolt.
-LenW
htpasswd is contained in a package that wasn't installed -- just installed it.

-Scott
by rfield » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:43 pm
Just to confirm what appears to be the case:

Files hosted on the shell server will be unchanged on the new server. There is no action required by users to transfer them.

Is that correct?
by patty1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:14 pm
rfield, Sonic is actually mirroring the two systems. I have one computer making terminal connections to Bolt and another to Sh, and any change I make on one (such as an updated .newsrc after reading Usenet) is immediately reflected on the other.
by scott » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:43 pm
patty1 wrote:rfield, Sonic is actually mirroring the two systems. I have one computer making terminal connections to Bolt and another to Sh, and any change I make on one (such as an updated .newsrc after reading Usenet) is immediately reflected on the other.
Pretty much, yes. :) Your home directory is on a NetApp NFS filer in our datacenter, which is mounted directly on Bolt, and in a roundabout way on sh.sonic.net (using sshfs through a secure intermediary). Note that this can be a problem if you (say) create a new .pinerc on sh.sonic.net to run alpine, then go back to Bolt and try to run pine.

-Scott
by patty1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:01 pm
Thanks for the clarification, Scott. I know there are some differences in the systems, such as the location of fortune. I changed to the correct path for Sh, so now I get an error message when I log in to Bolt. And I've seen you discuss other path differences with other users. But my files are definitely okay on both systems, and are updated when I change one.
101 posts Page 10 of 11