New shell server beta testing

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
101 posts Page 8 of 11
by netllama » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:54 pm
gie wrote:Thank you, I'll look into that, but usually I'm using ConnectBot from an Android phone and I don't think that's possible offhand.

I worked with aid earlier to try to get a self-signed SSL certificate into the right smime directories to store password but couldn't get it working.

Do I understand right that if I had passwordless ssh set up from new she'll server to the IMAP server, that could also take care of it?
Isn't ConnectBot an ssh/telnet client? I'm certain its not a mail client, so it can't speak IMAP. You might want to look into switching to an Android ssh client that has good/real public key support. Or even install Termux, and then you get 'normal' openssh for free, or you coukd even install alpine locally on your device and connect over IMAP.
by gie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:13 pm
I will see what can be included in my ssh session (I still don't understand how that "macro" would work -- how would my ssh client store my password and delay issuing it interactively until alpine is started?), but I definitely am not open to running local alpine on my phone. Thank you for suggesting things though.

Still wondering this:
Do I understand right that if I had passwordless ssh set up from new shell server to the IMAP server, so that alpine could retrieve with no authentication, that could also take care of it?
by scott » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:33 pm
gie wrote:I will see what can be included in my ssh session (I still don't understand how that "macro" would work -- how would my ssh client store my password and delay issuing it interactively until alpine is started?), but I definitely am not open to running local alpine on my phone. Thank you for suggesting things though.

Still wondering this:
Do I understand right that if I had passwordless ssh set up from new shell server to the IMAP server, so that alpine could retrieve with no authentication, that could also take care of it?
Alas, alpine will still ask for your password, since it is establishing a new IMAP session.

I'm going to be working on the documentation tomorrow, will also take another quick stab at getting the password to store on disk. Alpine uses a system of encrypting passwords with ssl certificates -- by default, you'd still have to enter a password (which could be shorter), but we could also set you up so your ssl (not ssh -- ssl) private key for alpine doesn't have a passphrase.

Another option, which we _really_ don't want to do, is have procmail deliver your email to an inbox in ~/mail. But that means your mail would not be available via IMAP with other clients.

-Scott
by gie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:29 pm
Thank you very much, I'm great with the idea of ssl with no passphrase, I just haven't gotten any variation of self-signed ssl to work yet.

I'd be thrilled to scrap IMAP as long as my folders still worked (that was why imap got introduced, no?, the folders not working?). I use no other email clients.
by cpark » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:57 pm
So I got the notification and found password-less login didn't work on the new server.

Finally figured it out, and in case I'm not the last person to learn about this, my problem was in expecting ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 to be honored by the new server. Once I put keys into ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, all was happy.

I think that at some point in the past 17 years or so, I thought I needed the '2' suffix. Maybe on another server? And it worked on bolt, so I left it.
by scott » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:41 pm
cpark wrote:So I got the notification and found password-less login didn't work on the new server.

Finally figured it out, and in case I'm not the last person to learn about this, my problem was in expecting ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 to be honored by the new server. Once I put keys into ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, all was happy.

I think that at some point in the past 17 years or so, I thought I needed the '2' suffix. Maybe on another server? And it worked on bolt, so I left it.
I hadn't considered that. Yeah, the 2 suffix was from back in the days when ssh 1 was still around.

Thanks for letting me know what you did, I'll get that into the transition wiki page.

-Scott
by bakul » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:03 pm
$ ssh sh.sonic.net
Authenticated with partial success.
/bin/zsh: No such file or directory
$ <back to local system>
by scott » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:21 pm
bakul wrote:$ ssh sh.sonic.net
Authenticated with partial success.
/bin/zsh: No such file or directory
$ <back to local system>
It's installed now. :)
by bakul » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 pm
Thanks for fixing this quickly!

BTW, I didn't get any email about shell machine switch over (either at my perm. email address or at sonic, which I forward to my perm. email address). I found out about this from a friend. I do get billing email + MOTD kind of messages so this was strange. I poked around some and added my perm. address as genera contactl on the member info page - which was missing. Strange.... Not sure what changed. Anyway, will this change fix the problem now? Thx!
by scott » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:31 pm
bakul wrote:Thanks for fixing this quickly!

BTW, I didn't get any email about shell machine switch over (either at my perm. email address or at sonic, which I forward to my perm. email address). I found out about this from a friend. I do get billing email + MOTD kind of messages so this was strange. I poked around some and added my perm. address as genera contactl on the member info page - which was missing. Strange.... Not sure what changed. Anyway, will this change fix the problem now? Thx!
Hmm, I don't see "bakul" having a crontab, nor had you logged in for two months, if I'm not mistaken. Will consider trickling out another note to shell users who haven't logged in for a while.

-Scott
101 posts Page 8 of 11