How to confirm Sonic Shell SSH Fingerprint?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by slatehalibut » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:30 pm
Hello,

Brand-new Sonic user here. I've checked through the Knowledge Base Wiki and the forum here but I couldn't find and confirm the SSH fingerprint for shell.sonic.net. Can anyone help out and please point me in the right direction?

I'd just like to make sure the fingerprint I receive when connecting for the first time is the correct one for security :) I asked while on the phone with tech support setting up my shell account (i.e. agreeing to the terms) but they weren't sure where I should go, and suggested I ask here.

Thank you in advance for any help - apologies if I missed an obvious answer here if this question's already been asked.

- SH
by drew.phillips » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:16 pm
Hi SH,

Sorry for the delay. In case you still haven't gone forward with the connection, the fingerprint you should expect to see will be either 34:27:de:3a:8e:74:82:dc:75:c8:41:6e:44:9e:a6:46 or SHA256:BGSoFM6X3LRR9QLRuzIyHKA7wOnCfotT1bBFtcHDAcc depending on how your client displays it.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by slatehalibut » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:46 pm
Hi Drew,

No worries, I apologize too for not watching this topic and replying after you answered my question.

I ended up calling support, and that got the question answered straightaway.

Thank you for your help! One more question -- or suggestion: it sounded like from the support tech I spoke with (Shout out to Jeff and Team - thanks guys!) that the SSH fingerprint for shell.sonic.net doesn't/didn't change often - could it be added to the Shell Wiki page (https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Shell_Access) for easier user access?

Thank you again for your help!

-SH
by scott » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:09 am
slatehalibut wrote:Hi Drew,

No worries, I apologize too for not watching this topic and replying after you answered my question.

I ended up calling support, and that got the question answered straightaway.

Thank you for your help! One more question -- or suggestion: it sounded like from the support tech I spoke with (Shout out to Jeff and Team - thanks guys!) that the SSH fingerprint for shell.sonic.net doesn't/didn't change often - could it be added to the Shell Wiki page (https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Shell_Access) for easier user access?

Thank you again for your help!

-SH
That's quite an old page, has info on there that pertains to dialup(!!).

We'll get the key fingerprints somewhere around there, both for the old shell server and the new one. The latter is currently in beta testing, and can be reached at sh.sonic.net.

For sh.sonic.net:
ECDSA key fingerprint is MD5:72:68:03:a1:6c:c3:48:5c:13:04:b7:4d:91:b3:5c:5d.
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:3Shjz0z7pf5EhaJuPaq4Dij92qFd34dRl9pbeNZAtWk.

-Scott
by roelofs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:33 pm
Could use an RSA fingerprint, too (both bolt and sh).
by scott » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:19 pm
roelofs wrote:Could use an RSA fingerprint, too (both bolt and sh).

Code: Select all

For sh:
RSA key fingerprint is SHA256:2v/NEm+2VjOi7WV/W/BV42TG5D8rBYrHELsCVyEbciA.
RSA key fingerprint is MD5:44:ef:ed:17:07:d1:a9:83:ab:aa:43:a3:00:77:60:7e.

For Bolt:
RSA key fingerprint is SHA256:BGSoFM6X3LRR9QLRuzIyHKA7wOnCfotT1bBFtcHDAcc.
RSA key fingerprint is MD5:34:27:de:3a:8e:74:82:dc:75:c8:41:6e:44:9e:a6:46.

by roelofs » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 pm
Thanks, Scott!
7 posts Page 1 of 1