Faxout over 50 pages

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by sitzman2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:21 pm
I was wondering if you would consider increasing the 50 page upload maximum. I frequently have to fax 100 or even 120 pages. I understand if there is a maximum filesize (I normally compress my PDFs which get them to 5-8meg or so, but please is there a way to increase the pagecount? That seems a bit arbitrary. Thanks!
by bobrk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:20 pm
Also, is there a chance this service will become more robust? It's labeled as a "lab" now, which doesn't give confidence when faxing important papers around...
by kgc » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:51 pm
You'll need to split up large pdfs into multiple pdfs to send them, the most reliable tool available to us to do PDF to fax conversion is very memory intensive and this limit is in place to prevent OOM problems. (The silly thing ends up keeping a bitmap of every page in memory before converting it to a compressed multi-page TIFF.)

Faxing will stay as a labs project. The delineation is that this is a best effort service for us without "official" support from our technical support folk. I've had good luck every time I've needed to use it, but if you send a lot of faxes to a lot of different fax machines you may find a non-free commercial electronic faxing service may be necessary.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by bobrk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:53 pm
That's an excellent answer. Thanks!
by sitzman2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:59 pm
Thank you for the reply. If that is the case, why not release the page limitation if a .TIFF is uploaded directly?
by kgc » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:46 pm
I think the short answer is that this is "best effort" (and available at no additional cost.) Features like conversion of other common file types, accepting tiffs directly are all reasonable but unlikely to be worked on.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by sitzman2 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:44 pm
Dear Kelsey,

Thank you for the reply. I do understand that faxing out is a free service that is best efforts; but lifting the page restriction for TIFF files should be pretty trivial and would be very helpful to your customer base. If you can please forward this request to the engineers that worked on the Faxout team, I would be very grateful.
7 posts Page 1 of 1