IPv6 for fiber customers?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
44 posts Page 3 of 5
by bsilva » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:32 pm
Another ping on IPv6...

Dane? I have a customer on Sonic fiber that really needs IPv6.

When?

Thanks.....
by digitalbitstream » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:36 am
What's the status on both ipv6 for fiber, and static ip for fiber?
Related to the above, is there a fair use clause in the contract, to prevent excessive use of the fiber connection? I'm not talking caps directly, but abusive non-residential use.
by jorgebonilla » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:18 am
+1 on ipv6.
Sonic, please share implementation plans.
I'll be more than happy to be pilot customer.
by danielg4 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:23 am
by mgsullivan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:45 pm
So he says dual-stack ipv4 & ipv6 coming "soon" - does anyone have any idea (or educated guesses) when "soon" will be?

Next quarter? Next year?

No ipv6 has been *only* problem I've had with Sonic Fiber.
by lenherr » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:56 pm
The sonic support sent me to this thread as well, but the last "official" update was from end of June, i.e. 3-4 months ago, so I wanted to ask, are there any updates that could be published on this front?

Also, I'm on sonic fiber in San Jose, i.e. AT&T resale, should I expect a difference in terms of release-date due to that?

Thanks!

EDIT: Small adjustment, the thread linked in the post two above this one has an update from Sept 20th, stating again it'll come "soon" :-)
by danielg4 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:23 pm
lenherr wrote:The sonic support sent me to this thread as well, but the last "official" update was from end of June, i.e. 3-4 months ago, so I wanted to ask, are there any updates that could be published on this front?

Also, I'm on sonic fiber in San Jose, i.e. AT&T resale, should I expect a difference in terms of release-date due to that?

Thanks!

EDIT: Small adjustment, the thread linked in the post two above this one has an update from Sept 20th, stating again it'll come "soon" :-)
This thread is only about Sonic Gigabit Fiber, because the AT&T-resold fiber already had native IPv6 all along, if the AT&T-resold FTTN is any indication. Check your gateway.
by lenherr » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:33 pm
(Sorry for the delayed response here)

Ha! You were right - as I've seen everywhere that sonic doesn't support ipv6 yet and I didn't assume the newer, resale-product would be ahead of the "native" offering, I didn't even bother checking! Thanks!
by tigertech » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:58 am
I wanted to add my voice to the people asking for native IPv6 support. I use it for work (part of my job is troubleshooting problems on IPv6 websites); I have HE tunnelbroker.net set up as a workaround, but native would be much simpler. If there is any sort of beta testing, I would be glad to participate.

Also, the Member Tools > Labs > IPv6 Tunnels > View/Request Tunnel has returned "Function unavailable at this time. Please try again later." for at least a couple of months. :-(

By the way, I'm sure that Sonic is worried about the extra support load from IPv6 native customers. Although there is inevitably some of that during configuration, I have found that IPv6 server connectivity is widespread enough now, and the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Eyeballs client algorithm is widespread enough now, that ISP connections offering native dual stack are more likely to work then pure IPv4 connections. For example, Netflix tries to use both IPv6 and IPv4, so if there's an IPv4 problem caused by routing issues between the ISP and Netflix but under the control of neither, there still a good chance that it will work via IPv6 instead, leading to fewer complaints to the ISP. Put another way, native dual stack IPv6 should reduce "I can't watch Netflix" and "I can't connect to website X" type of complaints for an ISP like Sonic.
by danielg4 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:31 am
tigertech wrote:I wanted to add my voice to the people asking for native IPv6 support. I use it for work (part of my job is troubleshooting problems on IPv6 websites); I have HE tunnelbroker.net set up as a workaround, but native would be much simpler. If there is any sort of beta testing, I would be glad to participate.
Sonic's 6RD also works as a temporary workaround, last I tried it. I only keep it turned off because it's a bottleneck. I opt out of Sonic's gateway rental, though.
https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Fusion_IPv6 ... e_Pace411N
44 posts Page 3 of 5