IPv6 for fiber customers?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
44 posts Page 1 of 5
by chrisbuxton » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:36 pm
Does Sonic support IPv6 addressing for fiber customers? I see that it's supported for ADSL Fusion customers, but I have a residential fiber connection from Sonic. The tool in the members area says it only works for Fusion.
by dane » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:03 am
chrisbuxton wrote:Does Sonic support IPv6 addressing for fiber customers? I see that it's supported for ADSL Fusion customers, but I have a residential fiber connection from Sonic. The tool in the members area says it only works for Fusion.
Not yet. We're still working on some vendor interop issues before roll-out.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by abhi.kris » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:19 pm
How about now? I've just asked to be upgraded to Fiber. Is that IPv6 now?
by dane » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:35 pm
abhi.kris wrote:How about now? I've just asked to be upgraded to Fiber. Is that IPv6 now?
Nope, no IPv6 yet on fiber. It's coming. But if you're in a region with fiber, don't let that hold you up, the product is amazing, and you should switch over asap.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by carol.fager-higgins » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:39 pm
Hello! Just got fiber yesterday and noticed no support for IPv6. I mainly switched for gaming purposes. According to Xbox, "the expansion removes the need for Network Address Translation (NAT), which can interfere with multiplayer gaming and chat over IPv4 networks." And I have issues with moderate NAT type which affects gaming. So...is there an ETA when Sonic will have this functionality available? Gamers wanna know ;)
by neg12roni » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:08 pm
According to Sonic, they have just a couple of minor things to iron out...that have taken 2+years so far.
by miken » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:08 am
carol.fager-higgins wrote:Hello! Just got fiber yesterday and noticed no support for IPv6. I mainly switched for gaming purposes. According to Xbox, "the expansion removes the need for Network Address Translation (NAT), which can interfere with multiplayer gaming and chat over IPv4 networks." And I have issues with moderate NAT type which affects gaming. So...is there an ETA when Sonic will have this functionality available? Gamers wanna know ;)
On a personal note - I game all the type at home and don't notice any performance increase between using IPv6 as compared to IPv4. That being said, if you want to skip NAT, you can just LAN subport one of the Ethernet ports on your router and connect your Xbox via Ethernet. This will give it a direct IP address instead of the router providing a local one. Keep in mind that this also goes around the router's firewall, so network responsibly. :)
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by carol.fager-higgins » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:23 pm
@miken Thanks for responding. yeah, I thought about what you said but didn't think of it as an a viable option as I don't want to be outside the firewall. :/ So to my original question---is there an ETA for IPv6? Thanks!
by Carol Fager-Higgis » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:12 am
Hi, we are into November, what is the ETA for IPv6?
by danielg4 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:37 am
Now that the fiber is connected, I figured I'd try 6RD, and I got IPv6 connectivity. However, it is not capable of gigabit speeds. It's about as fast as the Cisco VPN.
44 posts Page 1 of 5