Had a confirmation today that Sonic's VPN service does indeed mask my IP address

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by dwhittaker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 pm
After using Sonic's VPN service for a few weeks now, I was hoping it did what it was intended for... to mask my IP address... but had no real way to confirm it was working. Today I logged into a website I hadn't visited for a while and it didn't log me in but asked me to confirm who I was (via replying with a confirmation number that was emailed to me), because of an "unknown IP address... you may be logging in from a different device... blah blah blah"

After confirming who I was the site listed the IP address it recorded when I logged in. It was some random IP address that said "Location: Albany, CA." Since I actually live in Oregon, BAM, total confirmation.

Thanks Sonic! As usual you guys are right on your game and totally deliver for your customers.

Cheers!
by yuriw » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:21 pm
Interesting question is Sonic keeps logs?
by miken » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:47 am
Our VPN follows the same privacy policy as our connectivity services - IP logs are kept for up to 14 days and we don't monitor or keep logs on traffic.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by drew.phillips » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:54 am
dwhittaker wrote:After using Sonic's VPN service for a few weeks now, I was hoping it did what it was intended for... to mask my IP address... but had no real way to confirm it was working.
On the most basic ways to check is to hit Google with the query "what is my ip" to compare your IP before and after connecting to the VPN.

If you want a more thorough check, I'd suggest trying these two links: BrowserLeaks IP Test and also checking to make sure you're not vulnerable to the WebRTC Leak.

Aside from that, always be aware that sites can track or correlate your true IP and VPN IP by means of cookies. If you get tagged on a site with a cookie from your real IP and then go back later from the VPN, the cookie will tie you to both addresses.

Depending on your needs, using the Tor Browser while connected to the VPN will provide a greater level of privacy as Tor browser doesn't keep any state each time you use it.

I hope those references help. Thanks for using our VPN and being a valued Sonic member!
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
4 posts Page 1 of 1