fax service

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
24 posts Page 2 of 3
by farmerbrown » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:26 am
I'd like to be able to fax Word documents, with either .doc or .docx extensions, when you get around to it. That's mostly what the people who still use faxes want to see.

Also, what kind of security does the fax service provide?

Are my faxed files clearly visible to sonic.net employees or to others who choose to get in there?

Thanks.
by virtualmike » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:42 pm
I'll let someone from Sonic.net give the official corporate stance, but I strongly suspect that our faxes have the same privacy and security as our email that's hosted on Sonic.net's servers.
by kgc » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:30 pm
farmerbrown wrote:I'd like to be able to fax Word documents, with either .doc or .docx extensions, when you get around to it. That's mostly what the people who still use faxes want to see.
The problem is that on a Linux platform it is nearly impossible to accurately convert word documents. Enter the PDF and the fact that basically everything can export to PDF these days... This is a far better solution than finding out that your nicely formatted tables converted with all of the cells superimposed on each other.
Also, what kind of security does the fax service provide?
What kind of information are you asking for?
Are my faxed files clearly visible to sonic.net employees or to others who choose to get in there?
To all employees with root access, yes. Faxes that fail to convert are kept around so we can improve the software, otherwise nothing is kept other than the logs.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by bbmak » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:39 pm
Great now, I do not have to attach the phone line to my computer to send fax. However, are there any way we can send fax with doc or docx format? Not sure if there is legal issue for the file format or not. For me now, I have to convert the file to pdf in order to send a fax, little bit inconvenience, but still okay.

Another question, can we send fax to other countries for free?

This is a great service. I just got my free faxline number today. 8-)
by dane » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:26 pm
virtualmike wrote:I'll let someone from Sonic.net give the official corporate stance, but I strongly suspect that our faxes have the same privacy and security as our email that's hosted on Sonic.net's servers.
Yes, this is correct. Data we store for you is protected by, among other things, the Federal Telecommunications Privacy Act of 1984. Roughly and in part, it states that employees of telecommunications providers may not snoop their customer's data, and if and when in the course of their normal work (eg, troubleshooting the beta FAX service) they do see customer data, that data is protected by law, and a person who discloses it is guilty of a felony.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:30 pm
dane wrote:Data we store for you is protected ...
Thanks for the confirmation, which should set others' minds at ease. I have 100% confidence with Sonic.net's handling of my data, and I'm probably one of the most skeptical people regarding online privacy and security!
by zbarr » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:48 pm
How about a way to cancel faxes in member tools? (Like for when your GF puts the fax 'to number' in as your fusion line, and the house phone rings for the next ten minutes while the fax tries to go through...)

The fax feature is a great service tho! thanks Dane!
by kgc » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:53 pm
zbarr wrote:How about a way to cancel faxes in member tools? (Like for when your GF puts the fax 'to number' in as your fusion line, and the house phone rings for the next ten minutes while the fax tries to go through...)
This is on the list of features to support but, I'll be honest, it's not very high on the list.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by mfarrow » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:14 pm
Is the Faxline setup online for all members? When I try to set up a faxline I get:

Mailbox accounts are not allowed access to the FaxLine membertool.

So how to I get to the membertool for FaxLine?
by dane » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:05 pm
mfarrow wrote:Is the Faxline setup online for all members? When I try to set up a faxline I get:

Mailbox accounts are not allowed access to the FaxLine membertool.

So how to I get to the membertool for FaxLine?
FaxLine can only be added to the main account, not by mailboxes, sorry.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
24 posts Page 2 of 3