fax service

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
24 posts Page 1 of 3
by vmlapan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:07 pm
I've tried the fax service today sending the txt file.

The addressee got gibberish instead of the fax message(:
by kgc » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:50 am
I've pulled the original out the logs and it looks like the original file was received as gibberish (well, binary) on our end. Are you sure the file on your end really is a plain text file? What did you use to create it? OS/Browser?
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by vmlapan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:52 am
it's a real txt file. I used wordpad to paste the text into it. windows 7.
you need to specify how do you need the file to be formatted, if the tool you use is so sensitive.
In any case, I'd expect you use some parser to check if the file is text or binary and send email if there is a problem with the file.
by vmlapan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 am
$ file Papa.txt
Papa.txt: Little-endian UTF-16 Unicode Pascal program text, with CRLF line terminators
by joemuller » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:02 pm
Is 'Papa.txt' really unicode, or is that a bug in the 'file' utility? Chances are pretty high that a unicode text file would get mangled...
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by kgc » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:23 pm
Unfortunately enscript which is responsible for text->ps conversion in the fax tools doesn't support Unicode. I didn't realize this when I wrote it. Further, it looks like most of the standard tools either don't or only have partial Unicode support as well so it may take a bit to track down a solution. (This process could be sped up by anyone with a good suggestion on how to turn Unicode into postscript using Lucida Sans Typewritter - optimally - with commonly available linux cli tools.)

Meanwhile, I've added a note about the lack of Unicode support in the wiki and will add a check for Unicode in the conversion code.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by vmlapan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:38 pm
funny: I always use unicode, even though in this case it's english only text.
maybe this helps: http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Unicode-HOWTO-5.html
by eugenekh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:42 pm
I tried sending a fax using the Chrome browser ... clicked Send but nothing was sent. Sent a fax fine using IE9.
Didn't see anything about Chrome or other browsers at https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Send_A_Fax
Thanks.
by cboyce » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:17 am
I tried to reproduce this in Chrome, but I was able to send a fax using Chrome version 12.0.742.91 under Windows 7. What version/OS are you using?
by eugenekh » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:15 pm
hmm, works fine now, Chrome 12.0.742.91 on Windows. Not sure what went wrong last night. Sorry for the false alarm.
nice-to-have: for plain .txt files, can the font be a bit darker? Thanks.
24 posts Page 1 of 3