Fusion FTTN and IPv6

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by baloo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:34 pm
Hello there,

I'm a happy user of Fusion FTTN for almost a year now. The only missing in the offer is the ability to have ipv6 tunnels.
For a couple of reasons I run a ubiquiti edgerouter X behind the ATT modem (mostly because I have a permanent vpn to my office on some on vlan in the house). The ATT modem being also a router, and being impossible to deactivate. I am running a 'double-nat' for ipv4.
The ipv6 service offered by ATT is very basic and does not allow for subnetting (they only allocate a /64 as far as I know). This is also impossible to set a static ipv6 route to allocate this /64 to my edgerouter X in the ATT router.

For those reasons, I run he.net free ipv6 tunnel on my edgerouter and everything works mostly flawless (they even allocate a /48 which allows me to have more that one vlan with ipv6 and autoconfig!)
There is a couple of downsides to that:
- Lower MTU because of ipv6 over ipv4 transport
- Netflix flags my connection as being proxified and does not allow me to watch netflix.

Is there something we can do? Ideally unlock the Fusion FTTN limitation on the ipv6 tunnel service, if not could you provide a tunnelbroker-like service for ISP allocated ips?

Cheers
by danielg4 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:51 pm
Just out of curiosity, if you disable IPv6 altogether in the AT&T device, are you able to create the same AT&T 6RD tunnel from the UBNT device instead?

Update: As of at least last night, 2017-07-28, 6RD has been abolished on my FTTN circuit in favor of native dual stack IPv6.
by parhelia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:29 pm
danielg4 wrote:Update: As of at least last night, 2017-07-28, 6RD has been abolished on my FTTN circuit in favor of native dual stack IPv6.
Can you post how you configured your UBNT device? I spent entirely too much time trying to get it to work via 6rd, DHCPv6, and a couple other ways. Nothing worked. Native dual-stack would be great (just about the only nice thing about Comcast in the Bay Area).
by danielg4 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:52 am
parhelia wrote:
danielg4 wrote:Update: As of at least last night, 2017-07-28, 6RD has been abolished on my FTTN circuit in favor of native dual stack IPv6.
Can you post how you configured your UBNT device? I spent entirely too much time trying to get it to work via 6rd, DHCPv6, and a couple other ways. Nothing worked. Native dual-stack would be great (just about the only nice thing about Comcast in the Bay Area).
That wasn't me with the UBNT.
by parhelia » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 am
So are you getting native dual stack directly from your RG? If so, which model is it?

Some digging around the internet showed ATT is rolling out native dual stack in various parts of the country over the past few months, but it seems to require a RG firmware update for the 5268AC (and support in the region). I could manually upload that new firmware, but that seems risky.
by danielg4 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:17 pm
parhelia wrote:So are you getting native dual stack directly from your RG? If so, which model is it?
Yes, NVG599.
by bmah » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:32 pm
@parhelia: I commiserate with you. I'm trying to get IPv6 to work through the Pace 5268AC, terminating a tunnel on a pfSense box. Tunneling doesn't seem to work (apparently a well-known issue with not allowing IP protocol 41 through the "firewall" on the Pace). The pfSense box can get a prefix via DHCPv6 and it can actually pass packets, but it doesn't seem to be able to take a prefix delegation for my internal network.

It's rather frustrating that there I can think of about three or four different ways to get IPv6 to work in this situation, but none of them work (so far) for various random reasons. And I'm trying to use this to replace a perfectly-working IPv6 tunnel setup (and there was even native IPv6 if I wanted to use it). Sigh. :-(

Bruce.
7 posts Page 1 of 1