Can you provide transit for my network?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
1 post Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:21 pm
Every few years I call Sonic.net to see if I can get service in Fremont. When you started down the path of becoming a CLEC I was very happy as there really needs to be more of those.

I called again today and found that you now offer service in Fremont but you are not a CLEC there. I was not able to sign up for service because you cannot offer static IPs in Fremont. But in my specific case there is a way around it. Sonic could be my IBP (Internet Bandwidth Provider) because I have my own /24 routable network. I don't have an ASN.

So I was thinking we could tunnel (GRE or IPsec or whatever) from my gateway router across the ILEC network back to your router. Then I could advertise my network with iBGP or you could just advertise my /24 from your router. [I prefer the former but you might like the latter.] Of course Sonic.net does not offer such a pre-packaged product since I am probably the only one asking for it.

The problem I am trying to solve is lousy upstream bandwidth and packet loss from my current DSL connection from 1999. 768Kbps makes remote desktop and video camera monitoring unusable.

So what do you think? Is there some product I could buy that we could then convert for my use on the back end?

Best regards,
Marty
1 post Page 1 of 1