Can I decline to receive the attachment .xml.gz (zip format)

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by malfaro » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:51 pm
in the last two weeks anytime a receive an e-fax to my email I get the PDF attachment with the fax but in addition to that I'm receiving a zip file with extension .xml.gz my corporate server is blocking those email because or virus concerns and in order to get them realease is a pain (i need to fill a realease form and forward that email after waiting up to 48 hours i get the email with my e-fax)

More than two weeks ago the attachment was a .txt file and I had no blocking with that kind of attachment. It all started when instead of that .txt file I got the .xml.gz file

HELP!!!
by kgc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:15 pm
That's certainly an unexpected outcome. I moved the debug information from a .txt attacment to the gzip'd xml so mail clients would not display the contents inline. It is unfortunate that barely any mail clients, and none of the popular ones, respect the content disposition headers.

Does your corporate server block all archives in email or is it the XML inside it that is causing it to get blocked? (I could make it a text again, but need to encase it in something that will prevent the client from displaying it.)
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by malfaro » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:38 pm
The server blocks all archives in email as long as there is a zip file with the xml.gz (that's what i was told by the Tech guys)
by kgc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:03 pm
Is it because of what the anti-virus software sees as a double extension (trying to hide the real contents)? There's really no excuse for not unpacking and inspecting the contents -- it's what our servers all do -- but corp. policies do not always make sense.

I'm just trying to clarify if they would led a zip or tar archive through. Feel free to forward any response you get to them to me directly.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by malfaro » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:07 am
The zip file is what is getting it block.
5 posts Page 1 of 1