IPv6 addresses of DNS servers

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by ayurchen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 am
Hi,

I have a new router ASUS RT-n66u, and it requires that DNS servers for v6 have a v6 address.
What are they for Sonic's DNS servers?

Thanks!
by kgc » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:47 am
We do not provide v6 recursive DNS servers at this time.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by ayurchen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:15 am
I see. Any tips which servers I can use out there?
by kgc » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:12 am
Assuming that your hosts will be dual stacked it really shouldn't be necessary to give them a v6 address for DNS resolution. The v4 servers will respond to AAAA requests when asked so it won't affect connectivity to v6 servers.
Kelsey Cummings
by ayurchen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:33 am
That is what I was planning to do to use v4 DNS for v6 lookups. Its just my router firmware requires v6 servers and tries to use them for resolution. Since router is the DNS server for home network, this fails.

I will check with the vendor, maybe get a different firmware. Or migrate home hosts to Sonic's DNS servers.

Thanks!
by kgc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:54 am
Another option would be to run a dual stacked caching DNS server inside you network.
Kelsey Cummings
by ayurchen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:30 am
yep, waiting when something like Tomato and OpenWRT will be supported on my router, and will give it a shot.
by briceno2 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:04 am
kgc wrote:We do not provide v6 recursive DNS servers at this time.
With this thread being a year old, does Sonic by now offer DNS servers that are reachable over IPv6? If so, what are their IPv6 addresses? I am doing some testing that requires a DNS server with an IPv6 address. I know that I can use Google's servers, but I'd rather use Sonic's should they exist.

Thanks!
by kgc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:20 am
No, we do not currently have any v6 reachable recursive DNS servers. I'd expect to see them around the same time that we start offer 6rd support.
Kelsey Cummings
9 posts Page 1 of 1