OpenVPN Service

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
92 posts Page 9 of 10
by davidkozak » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:35 am
Hey - Glad that Sonic provides this VPN service, but every time I connect, I start getting SMB connection attempts popping up in Little Snitch (firewall program for Macs).

Are all the Sonic users put into one network where they can browse each others shared files/printers/etc?
by petroniustoREALLY » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:27 pm
Just installed the oVPN service according to the instructions in the Wiki. I am using Windows 8.1 on a desktop computer connected by ethernet to a Sonic Fusion broadband service with Sonic Pace modem. When I authenticate to the OVPN application, my performance becomes very spotty with many URLs coming up unavailable and others loading extremely slowly. I have Norton 360 Premier Firewall installed and my connection to the Sonic modem without the VPN installed is pretty flawless.

Any ideas about what this could be or even where to look? I would like to use the VPN service but cannot given the current situation.
by sysops » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:24 pm
davidkozak wrote:
Hey - Glad that Sonic provides this VPN service, but every time I connect, I start getting SMB connection attempts popping up in Little Snitch (firewall program for Macs).

Are all the Sonic users put into one network where they can browse each others shared files/printers/etc?

Yes. Since the VPN's tunnel connection isn't behind any type of NAT or firewall by default, any open ports on your computer that are listening on all addresses will be exposed to the internet. This is mentioned on the VPN FAQ page. Ensuring that the VPN connection is firewalled is highly recommended.
Proud Sonic customer since 1999. Ask me about internet privacy, VPN, anonymity and security.
by james.park » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:59 pm
on iOS, I recently updated OpenVPN to 1.2.5 build 1. When I connect to VPN via sonic, it doesn’t stay connected for more than a few minutes at a time. Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this to stay connected more than a few minutes?
by ankh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:40 am
Now, what should I do about this? Tunnelblick just updated -- twice, to 2 different beta versions -- and then gave me this message:
-----------------------------------------

Warning: This VPN may not connect in the future.

The OpenVPN configuration file for 'client' contains these OpenVPN options:

'comp-lzo' was deprecated in OpenVPN 2.4 and removed in OpenVPN 2.5
'ns-cert-type' was deprecated in OpenVPN 2.4 and removed in OpenVPN 2.5

You should update the configuration so it can be used with modern versions of OpenVPN.

Tunnelblick will use OpenVPN 2.4.4 - OpenSSL v1.0.2n to connect this configuration.

However, you will not be able to connect to this VPN with future versions of Tunnelblick that do not include a version of OpenVPN that accepts the options.
---------------------------------------
by ankh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:42 am
And Tunnelblick's info now says:

--------------------------------
The OpenVPN log contains the following message:

"Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s)".

This error means that an option that is contained in the OpenVPN configuration file or was "pushed" by the OpenVPN server:

• has been misspelled,

• has missing or extra arguments, or

• is not implemented by the version of OpenVPN which is being used for this configuration. It may be a new option that is not implemented in an old version of OpenVPN, or an old option that has been removed in a new version of OpenVPN. You can choose what version of OpenVPN to use with this configuration in the "Settings" tab of the "Configurations" panel of Tunnelblick's "VPN Details" window.

See the VPN log in the "Log" tab of the "Configurations" panel of Tunnelblick's "VPN Details" window for details.
-----------------------------------
by jamespark » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:02 am
This morning when I try to connect to Sonic OpenVPN, I’m getting authentication failed. How do I resolve this?
by ankh » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:28 am
I had to log in again, with my Sonic password.
Yesterday, there was some kind of OpenVPN update.
by jamespark » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:01 pm
since my last post, I’ve been able to connect intermittently. sometimes the connection falls apart.
by forest » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:58 am
ankh wrote:
Warning: This VPN may not connect in the future.

The OpenVPN configuration file for 'client' contains these OpenVPN options:

'comp-lzo' was deprecated in OpenVPN 2.4 and removed in OpenVPN 2.5
'ns-cert-type' was deprecated in OpenVPN 2.4 and removed in OpenVPN 2.5

Both of those are harmless for now. When we start using newer openvpn versions, the comp-lzo option will have to be removed or replaced with the equivalent compress option. Replacing the ns-cert-type option will require a change on Sonic's end.
92 posts Page 9 of 10