IPv6 20 years old!

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by wwwdrich » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:06 pm
As reported in may places (http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/01 ... eployment/), IPv6 is now 20 years old. Yet, we're still relegated to using tunnels and jumping through hoops if we want to use it at home (don't even get me started on using it at work).

How close are we to getting native IPv6 for Fusion customers? I know AT&T claims to provide it in some markets...
by kgc » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:07 pm
It is very unlikely that we'll ever deploy anything other than the existing 6rd delivered IPv6 on the Fusion platform. This is the same way that it is delivered on my test FTTN service.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by wwwdrich » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:22 am
Since I have bonded lines, 6rd isn't an option for me unless I configure it at my firewall. And if I do it there I lose the ability to have fail-over between my two firewalls as tunnels don't work with CARP.

I'm starting to think the only way I'm ever going to see native IPv6 is Google Fibre or Comcast... (Comcast currently has IPv6 natively available in 18% of their network)
by kgc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:52 am
Adam posted in another thread that there is firmware available for the bonded pace modems but that we stopped the roll out because the upgrade was causing some custom settings to be lost. If you don't mind having to deal with that I think he can push the 6rd enabled firmware to your modem.
Kelsey Cummings
by parker_day » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:09 pm
kgc wrote:It is very unlikely that we'll ever deploy anything other than the existing 6rd delivered IPv6 on the Fusion platform. This is the same way that it is delivered on my test FTTN service.
Is this because vendor equipment only supports IPv4?
by kgc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:15 pm
parker_day wrote:Is this because vendor equipment only supports IPv4?
I believe there are some limitations in the Fusion platform that makes 6rd the only viable option. But I don't manage this equipment so I could be mistaken.
Kelsey Cummings
by wwwdrich » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:19 pm
If it isn't going to be supported on Fusion, what are the other options? I'm not holding by breath on getting fiber in south San Jose any time in the near (or even fairly distant) future.
by parker_day » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:44 pm
wwwdrich wrote:If it isn't going to be supported on Fusion, what are the other options? I'm not holding by breath on getting fiber in south San Jose any time in the near (or even fairly distant) future.
It is supported on Fusion, just via 6rd.
by wwwdrich » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:20 am
6rd isn't native IPv6, it's still a tunnel.
by wwwdrich » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:24 pm
I just talked to support and they tell me that 6rd is not a supported configuration for the bonded Pace modems at this time, that was after checking with a lead.

Does anyone have insight into a timeframe that it might be supported for bonded customers? Or, are you looking for guinea pigs to try it out? :-)
15 posts Page 1 of 2