Usenet: no news

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by clausa » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:32 pm
I sent this question to the support address but I was told
that usenet isn't really supported :-( (is that true?)

it seems there isn't any "new news" since this Monday (2015-11-30)
morning (or so). I only see an old article in comp.mail.sendmail,
but there should be new postings in other newsgroups (which I can
access in "read-only" mode elsewhere).

Is there a known problem with the usenet server
news.sonic.net?
by kgc » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:30 pm
Usenet hasn't been officially supported for some time and may go away at any time. We will do what we can to keep things running on the existing hardware but have no intention of replacing it if any catastrophic failures occur.

That said, the system just needed a kick in the pants and should eventually get articles back to about midnight last night which was the extent of the header queue on the feed server.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by kgc » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:42 pm
Actually, it looks like there is a partial disk failure in the overview data spool. I'll see if we have a suitable spare disk on hand. Unfortunately, fixing this will most likely result in a loss of all overview data (headers.)
Kelsey Cummings
by clausa » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:09 am
kgc wrote:Usenet hasn't been officially supported for some time and may go away at any time.
Hmm, that's really sad...

I guess there won't be any replies from the sendmail maintainer to questions in comp.mail.sendmail anymore.
by dherr » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:48 am
I switched over recently and am very happy with:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Supported by donations.
by kgc » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:01 am
clausa wrote:
kgc wrote:Usenet hasn't been officially supported for some time and may go away at any time.
Hmm, that's really sad...

I guess there won't be any replies from the sendmail maintainer to questions in comp.mail.sendmail anymore.
Well... there's also supernews.sonic.net which we've been keeping around but has a limited number of streams. I'll try to get it working today.
Kelsey Cummings
by kgc » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:22 pm
clausa wrote: I guess there won't be any replies from the sendmail maintainer to questions in comp.mail.sendmail anymore.
Claus, comp.mail.sendmail should be back in action on news.sonic.net -- I'm not able to back fill beyond what is queued up on the queue server but we should be good to the next disk failure. Luckily, the old Fujitsu MAS/MAU drives are very reliable.
Kelsey Cummings
by jronne » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:54 pm
is supernews.sonic.net the replacement for news.sonic.net ? jeff
8 posts Page 1 of 1