Block or limit unsolicited/junk incoming faxes?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by Jim Feeley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:27 pm
In the last month or so I've seen an uptick on incoming marketing/spam faxes from companies I've never contacted let alone faxed. I think I've received notices of five or so this month. I worry that the number will keep increasing and become a problem akin to spam email.

I don't use Sonic's Fax features much, but I'm glad it's there when someone requires a fax rather than email or PDF. I can't recall needing to receive any faxes, but I could envision needing that capability sometime in the future. Maybe.

Limiting or blocking unsolicited incoming faxes would save your servers a tiny bit of work and save me some hassle. But is that possible?

I guess in order of preference, I'd like:

1) A good spam/unsolicited fax filter or wall.

2) A way to easily add spam fax numbers to a blacklist.

3) A way to pre-approve certain incoming fax numbers and add them to a whitelist.

4) An easy way to disable and then re-enable incoming faxes with just a radio button, email from me to a certain sonic email address, or something without killing

5) Something I haven't thought of.

I realize any of those ideas might be hard to implement, but are you seeing a general increase in unsolicited incoming faxes? Any suggestions for what I can do to limit or block those now without completely deleting my sonic-supplied incoming fax line?

Thanks!

Jim
by virtualmike » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 pm
Can you just get another fax number? If you close the FaxLine, then reopen, you'll get a new number.
by joekevin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:21 am
I have also seen an uptick in SPAM faxes.
I would like to automatically block any faxes when: Remote Station = "unknown" OR Caller ID = "Restricted" OR Caller Name = "Unavailable".

Seems like a simple feature to add that would be significant benefit to all users.

Thanks for considering this.

spam-fax -> /dev/null
3 posts Page 1 of 1