IP address

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by write2otto » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:54 pm
Would it be possible to show what IP my connection has? Sometimes I need the IP so that I can access my machine at home. I know that we can sign up for no-ip.org, etc, but it would be really nice if I can get to see the IP address from member tools.
by augie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:23 pm
If you really need to know what IP your home connection is using, then maybe you will want to upgrade to a block of static IPs.
by gp1628 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:12 am
http://www.whatismyip.org
will tell you what IP it sees you coming from. Of course that has to be done from the machine you want to know the IP of.

http://www.whatismyip.com
is a more extensive site which also tells you but has lots of reading info about IP numbers also

I often have to refer to these sites in gaming forums when people are trying to host games such as Dominions 3. They often confuse their internal lan ip with the external one that the internet sees and needs to use to get to them
by write2otto » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:33 pm
@augie, I saw that coming! lol. Seriously, I only need one. The cost is not justified for what I need to do.
@gp1628, I need the IP remotely. :(
by wa2ibm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:34 pm
write2otto wrote:@augie, I saw that coming! lol. Seriously, I only need one. The cost is not justified for what I need to do.
If you need it remotely, then you need to employ something like DynDNS if you're dead set against getting a static IP. That's what I do with my Comcast connection. I use Sonic static IPs for my server traffic.
by thulsa_doom » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:31 pm
write2otto wrote:@augie, I saw that coming! lol. Seriously, I only need one. The cost is not justified for what I need to do.
Stay tuned. Dane's had folks working on that very subject.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by gp1628 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:09 am
You need the remote IP or you need to find an IP at another machine?
How are you trying to access that machine if you need to find its address from another machine?
Web? ftp? telnet? email?
by parkerday » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:29 am
Many modems/routers work out of the box with DynDNS. It's free and I can always see what my dynamic IP is, so no complaints.
8 posts Page 1 of 1