IPv6 6RD testing

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
85 posts Page 8 of 9
by rcsheets » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:21 am
dane wrote:Meanwhile, members with their own CPE who have asked for IPv6/6RD capabilities can now give it a try.
I know the recommendation generally is to use the Sonic provided CPE, but if my eagerness to try out 6RD gets the better of me, is there any particularly good equipment to get?

Edit: Never mind, I just saw viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2148 so I guess this is moving to production now, so I don't need to get my own modem after all.
by nsmill49 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:38 am
There are a couple of advantages to using the rented gateway:

+ Technical assistance with CPE configuration.
+ Wire maintenance is covered.

That said, I was using the ZTE831II sent by Sonic.net (for another account) until it died. I grumbled about the rental fee when they sent me the Pace 4111N; and stowed it in favor of using the ZTE. And when the ZTE died, I realized I had paid nearly twice over the cost of the D-Link DSL-520B I now have in place. I have returned the Pace.

My Asus RT-AC66U handles the 6rd tunnel nicely.
by sihde » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:22 am
Thanks for providing this service. I was able to get it up and running with no trouble.

What about reverse DNS? Can Sonic delegate the rDNS nameservice for the /60 we're assigned to our own nameserver?

I took a look in member tools, but it looks like we can only edit the PTR record for the IPv4 static address -- there's nothing there for IPv6 DNS.

Thanks,

Steve
by rtrinh » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:37 am
desertflyer wrote:For anyone wanting to configure a Netgear DGND3700v2 (or possibly any other current Netgear router) I am having success with the following configuration.

Internet Connection Type: 6to4 Tunnel
Remote 6to4 Relay Router: Auto
LAN Setup: Use DHCP Server
IPv6 Filtering: Open
Works with my Netgear D6200 modem/router. Had LAN Setup set to Auto and works just fine too.
by nsmill49 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:46 pm
What IP address do you see in ipconfig -all?

I should add that, in poking around, I see that 6to4 uses a default IPv4 gateway of 192.88.99.1, as defined in RFC 3068. From my location, this Anycast IPv4 IP address points to Hurricane Electric in Fremont, California. So, while you would get an IPv6 IP address, I don't think it is a Sonic.net IP address, as would be the case if Netgear could set up 6in4 (both Hurricane Electric and Sonic.net), or 6rd (Sonic.net).
by kgc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:41 am
sihde wrote: What about reverse DNS? Can Sonic delegate the rDNS nameservice for the /60 we're assigned to our own nameserver?
We have no plans to delegate 6rd rdns to customer name servers. The forward/reverse DNS records for the entire /28 are generated programmatically by our authoritative name servers in real time.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by Guest » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:33 am
kgc wrote:
sihde wrote: What about reverse DNS? Can Sonic delegate the rDNS nameservice for the /60 we're assigned to our own nameserver?
We have no plans to delegate 6rd rdns to customer name servers. The forward/reverse DNS records for the entire /28 are generated programmatically by our authoritative name servers in real time.
Thanks for the info. Please consider this a request to implement this feature, or at least allow us to specify hostnames for some of the IPv6 addresses in sonic's nameservers, as we are currently able for IPv4 static addresses.
by kgc » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:53 am
Understood, but I don't think it is likely that we'll do it. Alternately you can delegate reverse dns using the old v6 tunnel services. There is no plan to turn them off any time soon.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by sihde » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:06 pm
kgc wrote:Understood, but I don't think it is likely that we'll do it. Alternately you can delegate reverse dns using the old v6 tunnel services. There is no plan to turn them off any time soon.
Actually, this makes sense. The main appeal of 6RD from the provider's perspective is you don't have to maintain any per-customer state or configuration, so adding configurable rDNS delegation isn't consistent with the model.

For now I'll stick with Hurricane's 6in4 tunnel, since they do true rDNS delegation (instead of the hidden master Sonic's 6in4 tunnels do), but of course I'm still a big fan of Sonic's service.

I hope you're pursuing native IPv6, since that would cut the overhead of IPv6 in half (from 40 bytes to 20 bytes per packet). Although, if I had to choose between Sonic deploying native IPv6 or fiber in my area, I'd take fiber for sure!! :D
by timdoyle » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:22 am
We've released the IPv6 6RD tool to Membertools. You may now toggle IPv6 on compatible Pace 4111N's via Membertools, for Fusion services. See this thread for details on the tool:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2457
85 posts Page 8 of 9