Traveling for the holidays? Use our free VPN!

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
53 posts Page 1 of 6
by dane » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:33 pm
If you are using an un-trusted network while traveling or visiting for the holidays, don't forget that Sonic.net includes free VPN service. Details here:

http://www.sonic.net/features/vpn/

Note that VPN is a free "Labs" feature, so tech support can't provide telephone assistance with it, sorry!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jmunowitch » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:35 pm
Can we get any statistics on how much of the customer base uses the VPN?
by dane » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:16 pm
jmunowitch wrote:Can we get any statistics on how much of the customer base uses the VPN?
No, we don't have that data, sorry.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:42 pm
I love this service. I use it frequently when I travel, from my notebook, my Android phone, and my iPad (just not all at once :)).
by ankh » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:41 pm
The link in the first post now goes to Sonic's home page.
Is there a current link on using the VPN while traveling?
Yeah, I don't get out much, first time I've looked for the info ...
by amayfield » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:45 pm
You can find configuration information for our VPN offering at the following link: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/VPN_Service

You can use the Sonic VPN with any connection as far as I am aware, you just need to set up the VPN with your Sonic login credentials.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by ankh » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:39 pm
ok, I installed the new one as explained on the wiki page.
Now I have two -- the first one connects to ipsec.vpn.sonic.net and is set up in the Mac Network control panel, where there's an option to display its icon in the top bar; the new one connects to ovpn.sonic.net, appears as an icon in the top bar of the screen, I guess loading as an application on startup. Any reason to keep or not keep the earlier one?
by amayfield » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:20 am
The Cisco IPsec VPN is depreciated and unlikely to be available for much longer, I would recommend just using OpenVPN.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by mediahound » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:29 am
I'm on Sonic FTTN service at home. I'm still undecided if I should use the VPN when at home?
by ankh » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:24 am
One annoyance with the new VPN vs. the old one used on the Mac --the new one times out faster, and requires using the user's Sonic password to restart it each time. It's a temptation to change to a simpler and easier password that I can remember, instead of a complicated string I have to copy and paste. Password managers don't recognize the VPN prompt.
53 posts Page 1 of 6