IPv6 tunnel config not propagating

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by msiegen » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:51 pm
I'm trying to set up an IPv6 tunnel but running into some errors. I've configured my IPv4 address in the Member Tools, but the tunnel doesn't pass any traffic.

Sending a ping through the tunnel, with a source address of my tunnel IPv6 endpoint and a destination of Sonic's tunnel endpoint yields no response. A packet capture however shows that an IPv4 "destination unreachable (port unreachable)" message came back from 208.201.234.221.

Pinging either Sonic's or my tunnel IPv6 endpoint from several remote locations on the internet all return a "Time exceeded: Hop limit", sourced by 2001:5a8:601:2::15.

It's possible I misconfigured something... but in that case I would still expect Sonic's endpoint of the tunnel to respond to pings from the internet, rather than returning an error. These hop limit exceeded errors persist even if I down my tunnel interface, so I'm confident that I haven't created a routing loop.

I suspect instead that there may be an issue propagating the config in the Member Tools to the actual tunnel box, and the box thinks this tunnel doesn't exist. Could someone from Sonic take a look?

Thanks!
by kgc » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:19 pm
Can you run tcpdump or wireshark on your end of the tunnel? If you can, you should confirm that your host is sending tunneled traffic to our endpoint and will be able to see if we're sending tunneled traffic to you or not.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by msiegen » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:35 pm
Thanks, Kelsey.
I do see tunnel packets going out. No tunneled traffic comes in, but there is an ICMP port unreachable coming back from the tunnel server. Attached is a trace taken while sending pings through the tunnel.
by msiegen » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:19 pm
My tunnel started working today, sometime after my last post.

Thanks Sonic!
by kgc » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:22 am
I didn't have time to reply yesterday but it turns out you were correct and the tunnel config was corrupted on the server.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
5 posts Page 1 of 1