FaxLine

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
67 posts Page 1 of 7
by dane » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:28 am
We've emailed customers to let them know about our new free FaxLine service. Got questions? Review the other threads in the forum, then if you don't see your question answered already, please post a reply here or start a new thread. Thanks!

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cvaniman@sonic.net » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:30 am
I live outside the State of California but still have Sonic.net service. Will I be able to sign up for and use this new service?

Thanks
by kgc » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:35 am
Yes, it is free with all Internet Access services including dial-up. However, local numbers are only available in the Fusion coverage area.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by bfcheese » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:47 pm
This will come in handy,  particularly the send a fax feature.  When I travel I often need to send PO's and emails to the office fax.  It would be great to be able to do this from my IPad which I keep with me more than my laptop.  Unfortunately, the select a file button in the send a fax window does not work on my IPad - probably uses flash.  It would be even better to have an app that would let me send the attachment from the email, the way I can send it to Dropbox.

Don't want to complain about a new and nice feature, especially one that is free.  Just thought I would point out a couple of new wrinkles I would love to see.

Thanks for the great service.
by dane » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:38 pm
How do you generate and store PDFs on the iPad to upload? It doesn't seem to have a local filesystem..?

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:31 pm
Docs are stored in the local App Sandbox, but a few of the Apps can get into other sandboxes and do stuff. I see quite a few Fax apps in the App Store.
by petern » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:01 pm
Hi Dane,

I rec'd your email about this new no cost feature and it is of great interest to me. I have an existing fax number in sebastopol 707-829-xxxx that is all over our company marketing materials so i would like to keep and it is a real physical pac bell line/att.

I travel quite a bit and no one is close to my office to check when contracts come in, so 2 questions.

1) is there a way to rec'd incoming faxes to my email with sonic.net in jpg or pdf or some other readable OCR?
2) can i somehow -- with slight of hand -- use an available incoming sonic fax # that would be "forwarded" from my 707-829-xxxx # so that there is no perception issues with my clients?

Thanks,

Pete Nevin
by dane » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:07 pm
petern wrote:I rec'd your email about this new no cost feature and it is of great interest to me. I have an existing fax number in sebastopol 707-829-xxxx that is all over our company marketing materials so i would like to keep and it is a real physical pac bell line/att.
2) can i somehow -- with slight of hand -- use an available incoming sonic fax # that would be "forwarded" from my 707-829-xxxx # so that there is no perception issues with my clients?
We are not offering the ability to port an existing number into FaxLine, but there is one potential solution, if Fusion is available in your location, or if you have call forwarding on that AT&T line.

Basically, set up a new FaxLine number, then call forward (dial *72) the existing line to that number. This requires keeping that line - but if you move it to Fusion, perhaps this results in a two-line bonded Fusion setup that offers very fast access. If Fusion is not available, you'll have to keep the line with AT&T, pare it down to minimal cost with no features (their Caller ID costs more than the line itself in some cases!).

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by peacejoy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:11 pm
Nice service!
What is my fax number?
Floyd

(mod edit: corrected word -dj)
by petern » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:15 pm
OK well i have a Fusion connection from sonic as well as a dsl from ATT. I am not sure how this would work, but it makes sense on your 2nd solution of - keeping my att fax number and doing a fwd to to a new FaxLine number.

when you say "but if you move it to Fusion, perhaps this results in a two-line bonded Fusion setup that offers very fast access" i do have one should i call sonic support level 1 on what the next steps or for further explanation?
67 posts Page 1 of 7