Not receiving faxes

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by dubinsky » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:00 pm
I am new to efax and so far no one has been able to fax me. They get error messages. Outgoing faxes seem to go OK.
Question: is it essential that they dial 707? does there have to be a 1 behind it?
What else is different from the senders end about sending an efax??
Your replies previously seem to put the blame on the sender e.g. not waiting for a dial tone, etc.
Besides having to notify everyone that I have a new fax number after 28 years because of phone line issues in a new office, do I have to educate them on how to send me a fax?
Thanks, sorry but super frustrating and not very professional to not have fax capacity for 3 months
Gail Dubinsky M.D.
by ngufra » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:49 pm
Hello.

It is not clear how you are trying to receive faxes.
Are you using the Sonic labs virtual fax line?
I received a fax on it yesterday.
It's a regular number so area code will be required or not like a phone number (e.g. in 510 area code, local number must be prefixed with area code because of the new overlapping 341 area code)
If you are using a regular fax machine on a ONT (Voip line) i believe it should also work flawlessly.

So please describe with more details what you use and what you are trying to achieve and we can help you better.
by dubinsky » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:15 pm
I was assigned a "free " e-fax line as part of my Sonic fusion DSL. As I understand it, I send faxes by uploading a PDF of a document scanned from a remote copy/fax/scan machine up to my desktop, and it goes as an email to a fax line.
I understood that I was to receive faxes as an email with a PDF attachment. So far I received one test fax from my office machine tech guy, but a hospital was trying to send me something and only got error messages. no idea who else has not been able to reach me.
by ngufra » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:21 am
So it's a labs feature so officially, Sonic does not support it but in practice I feel they have tried to help.
My experience is that the fax line works fairly well.
I received a fax from my doctor's office a few days ago.
I vaguely remember that a few years ago my dentist had to try a few times before they could send me a fax but it worked in the end.

I suggest you give a call to 611 see if they can help.

-Francois
by briancw » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:07 am
Hi dubinsky,

I see here you reached out to our team and got this clarified a bit, it sounds like you were trying to get your physical fax machine receiving and we have the wiring for the phone and the physical faxline reversed. The dispatch for the misswiring that occurred will be the trick here. We're really sorry about the frustration. It looks like we should be getting you sorted this Saturday. If anything should come up in the meantime please don't hesitate to reach out to us at 855-394-0100

Circling back for posterity, the faxline system give an additional telephone number which someone performing a fax to you would dial as a normal fax would be dialed which upon being received converts to a PDF and lands in your inbox.. To send out on a fax you navigate https://members.sonic.net/labs/fax/ and upload the document as a PDF or txt file. If you have a bonafide physical faxline like our original poster dubinsky, the faxline in member tools is redundant.

best wishes,
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1