lets get WireGuard in addition to OpenVPN for the VPN service

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by larrygadea » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:28 pm
hello! first off, i want to say how awesome it is that Sonic is doing a VPN service for completely free. this is stuff companies like NordVPN, TunnelBear, Express and many many more are making a big business on -- and Sonic is giving it to us for free. thank you Sonic! :D

the thing is -- OpenVPN is becoming legacy now. WireGuard is now part of the core linux kernel, and is provably faster with higher maximum bitrates from more clients causing less CPU (incl on the server side!), and allowing these connection to come from more diverse devices, including when hardware encryption support is missing. this would allow us all to have safer and more secure internet in more instances.

i would love to see Sonic adopt this new standard in addition to the OpenVPN endpoints we already have. yes we won't get the convenient clients Sonic makes available for us today, but those can come later -- one step at a time. being a new Sonic customer being resold AT&T fiber service, i'm always a bit skeptical of what AT&T is doing with my bits. would love the option to leverage my trust in Sonic.

Sonic, can you please consider? is there some way we can help? :?:

thanks!

-- larry.
by forest » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:44 pm
+1
by kgc » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:59 am
Wireguard is interesting but the primary reason we're using OpenVPN is that it's widely supported *AND* had an available off the shelf supported enterprise management console that includes support for clustering and authentication which easily integrates into our systems. So far as I know, none of that is currently available for Wireguard.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by sysops » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:00 am
LEAP Encryption Access Project would be an interesting one for Sonic to join. LEAP also uses OpenVPN and their developers also have some good commentary on why they use OpenVPN vs Wireguard at this time: https://leap.se/post/2020_07_wireguard/
Proud Sonic customer since 1999. Ask me about internet privacy, VPN, anonymity and security.
4 posts Page 1 of 1