Connecting a Toshiba FlashAir SD card to fiber router

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by krauster » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:36 pm
I switched to fiber recently and now and trying to get my wifi SD card in my CPAP (sleep apnea device) to be seen by my new router. it was working in the past with the router I had when I had DSL but now the settings in the config file don't work. When I got the new router I gave the new router a new SSID and new password. So I went into the config file of the SD card and updated that info. I kept the same 192.168.42.50 LAN address. The router has been assigning LAN addresses sequentially and I have a lot of devices connected and up to about 192.168.42.20, so 50 should be out by itself.

The card is accessed with a Java program where I give the program the LAN address to find the SD card. But it doesn't find it. And when I examine it by logging into the router 192.168.42.1 and looking for it in the table in DHCP section I don't see it listed. I imagine it is some setting in the config file that doesn't work with the router's setup. I've tried it with both the DHCP_Enabled variable as YES and as NO. Any ideas?

[Vendor]

CIPATH=/DCIM/100__TSB/FA000001.JPG
APPMODE=5
APPNETWORKKEY=**********
VERSION=F15DBW3BW4.00.01
CID=02544d535731364754d264937a011b01
PRODUCT=FlashAir
VENDOR=TOSHIBA
APPNAME=flashair

MASTERCODE=0123456789AB
LOCK=1
APPSSID=olive
DHCP_Enabled=NO
IP_Address=192.168.42.50
SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

UPLOAD=1
NOISE_CANCEL=0
STA_RETRY_CT=0
DNSMODE=0
APPAUTOTIME=0
TIMEZONE=-28
WebDAV=1
by ngufra » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:32 am
The config reads dhcp off, and ip forced to 192.168.42.50
Even if you don't have many devices, you should not expect the router will not try to use 192.168.42.50 and that it allows random ip to be forced from a device

I would recommend you enable dhcp and from the other end, on the router, force the router to always allocate the same ip address to the sd card.
The mac address of the sd card should be on it, or when doing a survey, you should see it.

on my router (pfsense) there is a "static dhcp mapping" list when i can specific to always assign a specific ip to a specific mac.
There should be something similar on your router.

It seems your sdcard is not connecting to your wifi. Make sure the ssid, security mode and password are set. What kind of security is it using? if very old it could be doing WEP that the new router does not do.
Try to disable security just for a little while see if you can get it to connect.
Can you find the specifications for the config file ?
by krauster » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:14 am
In the SD card's config file I have tried DHCP_Enabled=NO and DHCP_Enabled=YES and neither works. But I will switch it back to YES.

Now that you pointed it out I do actually see that I have a MAC address printed on the case of the SD card.
And I've found a place to enter a static address with the MAC address.
https://i.imgur.com/uCkQjmT

But I don't see the 50 added. Here is what my router is DHCP currently assigning.
https://i.imgur.com/wEIhRh1
by ngufra » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:30 am
The MAC correspond to a toshiba OUI so it's the right one.
In the SD_WLAN_CONFIG the wifi network goes in the Vendor section.
ssid goes under APPSSID (yours is olive?)
the password goes under APPNETWORKKEY (put the actual valid when you write it with card on your computer. After using it, the values will be converted to *** but it will work until you change it)

It seems to work well if wifi security is set to WPA/WPA2_PSK.
Make sure you edit the file as a DOS file (with CR/LF at the end of each line.
After editing the file, remove from device and add it again, wait 10 seconds then check if you can ping 192.168.42.50
by krauster » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:08 pm
[Vendor]

CIPATH=/DCIM/100__TSB/FA000001.JPG
APPMODE=5
APPNETWORKKEY=********** this is the wifi password
VERSION=F15DBW3BW4.00.01
CID=02544d535731364754d264937a011b01
PRODUCT=FlashAir
VENDOR=TOSHIBA
APPNAME=flashair

MASTERCODE=0123456789AB
LOCK=1
APPSSID=olive this is the SSID
DHCP_Enabled=NO tried it with both YES and NO
IP_Address=192.168.42.50
SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

UPLOAD=1
NOISE_CANCEL=0
STA_RETRY_CT=0
DNSMODE=0
APPAUTOTIME=0
TIMEZONE=-28
WebDAV=1

In the router setup by default I do have the security set for WPA/WPA2_PSK
https://i.imgur.com/WMIbwpE

by the way, I blur out some stuff just because I am uploading these screen shots to imgur and it seems like a good idea. and the APSSID olive is not even the real SSID.

I can't successfully ping it. I'm using the default text editor in Linux Mint. Not sure how to sure the type of CR/LF but I think i didn't add anything extra.
by ngufra » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:07 pm
I found a good walkthrough to the flashair configuration file here: https://mattshub.com/blogs/blog/flashair-sd-card

From this screenshot, it seems you setup the 5GHz wifi. From https://www.toshiba-memory.com/products ... hair-w-04/ it seems the FlashAir are 2.4 GHz only.
Make sure you set up the 2.4 GHz ssid and password matching that of the flashair.
by krauster » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:52 pm
thanks for those links. I am working my way through them.
You mentioned that it appears that I am attempting to connected to the 5G network and that might be the problem. I haven't got it working yet, but you are correct about me mistakenly calling out the SSID of the 5G network and not calling out the different SSID of the 2G. So I changed the SSID to the 2G but it still doesn't work.

But how did you know that I was calling a 5G from the config file I posted?
by ngufra » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:59 pm
your screenshot showed the menu for 5G expanded but the menu for 2.4G was collapsed.
I think you are very close.
You may want to use a different name for 2.4 and 5GHz ssid just so you can identify them.
by krauster » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:18 am
Oh, I was only looking at the first two screenshots in the original message.... on a my third screen shot I see where it does show the 5G menu expanded.

Yes, you are right. I switched to the 2.4G SSID and it is now working. (not sure why I thought it still wasn't working after doing that switch last night, maybe I didn't save the changed config or something) But now I am able to ping it and talk to it through the flashpap app. Now I'll work on getting the rest of the process working.

Thank you for helping me.
by ngufra » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:49 am
Glad i could help. it's the little details we don't see ourselves...
So the card is some kind of eye-fi ?
Interesting way to "smarten" a device with no native connection except an SD card.
10 posts Page 1 of 1