Please allow VPN access using alternate credentials

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by forest » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:29 pm
Dear Sonic,

Can you please allow VPN access using alternate login credentials, such as those we already use for our additional email accounts?

At the moment, the VPN service only accepts the account's master username & password. That means those master credentials must be given to everyone in the household in order to give them VPN access. It also means that using the VPN while traveling overseas requires exposing those master credentials to the TSA and any other overzealous security checkpoint employee who decides they want to inspect (and potentially mirror or hack) our laptops/smartphones/other devices.

The current situation is needlessly risky from a security standpoint, and severely limits the VPN service's utility. Alternate logins would fix those problems right up. (I imagine Sonic must have an LDAP server or similar for email logins already, so it doesn't seem like much to ask.)
by ngufra » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:41 am
I agree that it would be a desirable feature.

The article at https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... PN-Service reads "logging in with your main account's Sonic username and password" so i guess it's the current only option.

However, with sonic expanding its customer base it may not be their top priority at the moment.
by kgc » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:10 pm
Providing the ability for users to enable application specific passwords is on our roadmap. There's a lot of legacy weight carried around with our authentication and user-management systems that needs to be replaced with a modern solution that enables things like this to exist. I'd expect to see progress on this starting six months from now.

Please keep in mind that allowing mailboxes to login would effectively gives customers unlimited vpn accounts for free. Perhaps we could enable vpn access for mailbox accounts for a nominal additional fee.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by forest » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:48 pm
Thanks, Kelsey. I just need to be able to use the VPN from multiple locations/devices without my main account credentials. (And to know that my ISP understands why that is important from a security persective.) I don't care if the alternate access comes from mailbox logins or some other method. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
4 posts Page 1 of 1