IPV6 and sonic vpn

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by captron248 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:10 am
Hi All

Been using the Sonic VPN more and would like to know how the Sonic VPN handle IPV6. If I'm accessing a website using IPV6 does the transaction get encrypted ? What I've done is disable IPV6 via a Linux script/ Window config when I use the VPN, is this necessary ?

I'm semi Linux illiterate ... anything bad side effects from this script that disables IPV6 ?

#!/bin/bash
#startvpn script
sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1
sleep 1
sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
sleep 1
sudo openvpn --config client.ovpn

thanks
Ron
by eespinoza » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:22 pm
This all depends on the distro and setup, given how light on the details your post is YMMV. I'm also not sure what you are intending to accomplish, so I'll cover the most common scenarios.

First thing to note is that Sonic VPN does not have IPv6, it is IPv4 only.

I don't know how you are set up, but my friend has native Sonic Fiber which only has IPv4. Using the VPN would have zero effect on IPv6 for him since he has no IPv6 transit.

I, on the other hand, have AT&T Fiber resold via Sonic. I get a NAT IPv4 address and native (prefix delegation) IPv6 address. Using VPN here would have crazy leakage as anything that had an IPv6 address would go via AT&T and anything IPv4 would go over the VPN. Doing what you did in your shell script or adding "ipv6.disable=1" to my kernel parameters would be the way to prevent transiting over AT&Ts native IPv6.
by captron248 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:54 pm
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the lack of detail on my question. I am using resold AT&T uverse product which has IPV6 and Win10 / Mint 19.3.

You stated
>>Using VPN here would have crazy leakage as anything that had an IPv6 address would go via AT&T and anything IPv4 would >>go over the VPN."

That's what I thought and it appears as that's what's happening if IPV6 is not disabled. More free time than usual these days to play around. ;-)
by jesus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:54 am
v6 was recently added to the beta.vpn.sonic.net server
4 posts Page 1 of 1