secret code for ssh

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by entity » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:09 pm
Trying to log in to sh.sonic.net, which I haven't done for several years now.
At some point, I had 2-step verification with Google Authenticator enabled, but I disabled it earlier today. Still:

kevin@nuala ~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Release: 19.1
Codename: tessa
kevin@nuala ~ $ ssh -V
OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.3, OpenSSL 1.0.2n 7 Dec 2017
kevin@nuala ~ $ ssh entity@sh.sonic.net
secret token:

What secret token? Why?
by scott » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:41 pm
entity wrote:Trying to log in to sh.sonic.net, which I haven't done for several years now.
At some point, I had 2-step verification with Google Authenticator enabled, but I disabled it earlier today. Still:

kevin@nuala ~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Release: 19.1
Codename: tessa
kevin@nuala ~ $ ssh -V
OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.3, OpenSSL 1.0.2n 7 Dec 2017
kevin@nuala ~ $ ssh entity@sh.sonic.net
secret token:

What secret token? Why?
It's asking for the Google authenticator code.

This is because your GA data is stored in a different place on the shell server. After removing the dot file for the GA, you have to run "sync_google_authenticator.sh".

I now realize that there is a chicken-and-egg problem here, if you can't log in (lost your GA key or whatever), then you can't run that script. I'm going to think about this -- might make a page where someone logs in and hits "refresh shell configuration" to straighten out that problem, among others.

I'm removed your GA dot files, you should be good to go now.
by gandom » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:10 pm
Hi! I am running into the same problem where SSH is asking for a secret token but it wasn't properly set-up. Could you please assist by removing the requirement for a secret token?

Connecting to gandom@sh.sonic.net...
(gandom@sh.sonic.net) secret token:
by joemuller » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:42 pm
gandom wrote:Hi! I am running into the same problem where SSH is asking for a secret token but it wasn't properly set-up. Could you please assist by removing the requirement for a secret token?

Connecting to gandom@sh.sonic.net...
(gandom@sh.sonic.net) secret token:
I've gone ahead and temporarily renamed your .google_authenticator file to 'backup.google_authenticator' -- this should let you login to the shell server using just your username and password, then you can run the special 'sync_google_authenticator.sh' script to re-sync things with your account two-factor authentication (I think).

-- Joe M.
System Operations
Sonic.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by gandom » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:01 pm
Hi! Thanks but I am still running into the same issue. It's asking for secret token when I try to login via SSH.

Could you please double check to make sure it only requires login and password? Thank you!!

gandom@sh.sonic.net
5 posts Page 1 of 1